Barrel Heat, Range Time, and Ammo

Nozler

My father started me shooting with a .22 at about 7-8 yr. old. Since then I have moved to handguns and high powered rifles. I want to go to the range and put in a good amount of time, whereas he thinks the heat and amount of ammo is bad for gun. I have got him to let me shoot as much as I want with the HK b/c it is a gun made to be used and abused. My pistol barrels (along with my rifle barrels) due get very hot after a little shoot but I don't see much point of going to the range to just put 20 or 50 rds. through and spend less than a 1/2 hour.

Enough background, What do yall think?

C.R.Sam

Moderation. A break for a cup of tea or whatever is good for the shooter and the gun. If you are practicing, take the time to make each shot the best that you can.

Sam

Navy joe

A good pistol is pretty tolerant of abuse, testing out the new BHP aquisition I put about 80 rounds downrange in about 2 minutes, no problems, wouldn't dare do this to a long gun. 60 is my limit with an AR, 20 with my M-1A, then let them cool all the way. I've heard of pistols being shot until they're too hot to hold, but that seems a little extreme.