Barrel heat and cool down

stilllookin'

So I've decided not to mess with the length of the barrel for my .270 Rem 700 Mountain Rifle, but I would like to reduce the wait time needed to get the barrel to a consistent temp for each shot (or shot groups). Do I run the risk of barrel damage if I a use a damp cloth to help absorb the heat?

Scorch

You won't cool it down very much faster, and you run the risk of rusting the finish. If you want to cool it faster, try compressed air in the bore.

dutchy

Open the bolt immediately after every shot, raise the muzzle a bit.
This and flipping up the rearsight (ladder) helps on my swedish mauser.

stilllookin'

In the cooler weather it's not as big a deal. The barrel cools fairly quickly. In the summer heat it's a different story and it can seem like an long time to cool off. I will try three or five shot groups before focussing on cool down. This will at least give me consistancy in groupings fired if I wait the same amount of time in between each shot.

dipper

Don't ask more of your rifle then it was designed to do.
I too have rifles with very light contour barrels---#1 contours 22 inch in length and .515 at the muzzle.
They are hunting rifles and all I ask of them are good 3 shot groups ---shots fired one after the other and then a good cool down before the next group.
It is IMO unrealistic to ask such a light barreled rifle to shoot 5 or 10 shot groups one after the other.
Shot in the manner that I have described, my rifles will put 3 shots well under 1 inch---just fine for a hunting rifle.
If you want to shoot more rapidly, get something with a good quality heavy barrel and you will be able to extend your number of shots.
There are also some calibers that lend themselves to this better than others--that is, some calibers will heat a barrel up faster than others.

Dipper

Wildalaska

It is IMO unrealistic to ask such a light barreled rifle to shoot 5 or 10 shot groups one after the other.

I have personally shot a Blaser R93 with a 19mm barrel diameter that was so hot you couldnt touch it and got a 1.5 inch group at 330 yards, 5 shots:D

WildthoutidtossthatinAlaska TM

dipper

I know Wild I know you did!!:)

I was talking about us folk that have normal rifles not those uber Blasers;)

I am STILL looking forward to Thanksgiving;)

Dipper

dmickey

Speaking of carbon dioxide, you may want to look into a product called a "Winterbreeze." It's made by Norlin Enterprises (phone number (605) 332-5741.) I have two of them using 10 pound carbon dioxide tanks. That way one is in use and when that needs refilled I use the other one.

Ifishsum

I have tried the damp cloth method, but it did not seem to make much difference. My sporter weight rifles get parked in the shade with the muzzle up and bolt open after 5 founds or so. This allows a chimney effect to speed barrel cooling. I always bring another rifle or two (often a .22 or milsurp) to plink with while I'm waiting for barrels to cool.

Heavy barrels can get away with 10 shots or more before cooling, but then they take a lot longer to cool down.