Barrel for 870

Beretta Boy

Ok, so I am new to the Shotgun section of TFL, but I have spent some time in the Handgun section. I own a handgun and rifle, but I am contemplating buying an inexpensive 12 gauge shotgun, first for skeet shooting. Second, for home defense... and Third, hunting sometime in the future.
All things considered, I have found a Remingotn 870 Magnun Express for 245 dollars, new, and I am considering purchasing it but I have a couple concerns.
1. If I buy this gun for skeet, I also want to use it for home defense, which means I should get a shorter barrel to switch out. Right? How long a barrel? How much approx. would it cost? And are there any good internet sights that sell them?
2. Although I don't want to spend alot of money, I do not like cheap stuff, and I'm wondering if this is the right weapon for these universal applications. I'm looking at the synthetic stock.. probably dress it up with a flashlight and barrel shroud.
...any input would be wonderful, thankyou!
-Aaron

Clogbert

Remington makes a 20" magnum barrel for home defense/law enforcement, that fits the 870 Express. As it happens, I have one - brand new, never been fired (I bought 2, one for me, one just in case). I'm asking $96 including shipping, which beats the $150 you'll pay in the stores. Clogbert@csuinternet.net

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
First off, the 870 Express is a great shotgun and buy.

Second, most folks use a 18-20" bbl for HD, and that can work for skeet, tho not ideal.

BTW, my clays and birds 870 has a bbl trimmed to 21", and I do well with it.

Third,instead of the synthetic stock, shroud and so on, buy ammo and practice, practice, practice.Consider this , you already have a good working stock on your weapon,the shroud may look nifty but serves no real purpose, etc.

Any time someone is spending more on bells and whistles than ammo and range time, repriortization may be needed.