Barrel crown ?

tomh1426

I just got a SKS 59/66 very cheap because the owner cut the grenade launcher off with a hacksaw :eek:
Without spending more than the gun is worth what can I do.
I havent shot it yeet but Im guessing accuracy suffers , am I right.
What exactly is it that a crown does? :eek:
Thanks

dutchy

Crowning is meant to eliminate unequal distribution of propellant gases on the bullet as it exits the muzzle. This would negatively influence accuracy.
Many a fine rifle has been ruined by damage to the crowning.
That's why rifles are preferably cleaned from the chamber, so the rod does not damage the muzzle or last part of the barrel.
However, you can allways try it out, it might still shoot straight. (as straight as any SKS can shoot).

ZeroJunk

Is the crown recessed for any reason other than keeping it from being "dinged"?Would not a perfectly square flat cut crown shoot fine?I'm just asking,I don't know.

Harry Bonar

crown

Sir:
This is simple. Get a good metal file and a small square. Know whether the bbl is of consistent diameter at this point and using the square file it flat, or, if bbl. tapers see the same amount of light under your square on all sides of the muzzle!
Then, after it's square as you can get it, use a good oversize countersink (oversize) wrap two or three thicknesses of denim over the muzzle (to avoid chatter) and just break the surface of the bore - then tale a ball or rod ground at about 45 degrees and with la[ing compound finish the job - hey! you're done!:)
Harry B.
P.S. Before I got my lathe I did hundreds of bbls. like this!

Harry Bonar

crown

Sir:
This is simple. Get a good metal file and a small square. Know whether the bbl is of consistent diameter at this point and using the square file it flat, or, if bbl. tapers see the same amount of light under your square on all sides of the muzzle!
Then, after it's square as you can get it, use a good oversize countersink (oversize) wrap two or three thicknesses of denim over the muzzle (to avoid chatter) and just break the surface of the bore - then tale a ball or rod ground at about 45 degrees and with la[ing compound finish the job - hey! you're done!:)
Harry B.
P.S. Before I got my lathe I did hundreds of bbls. like this!

Harry Bonar

denim

Sir:
An old gunsmith, Dave Taylor (deceased friend) showed me the denim trick.
You all know how drills etc., chatter when enlarging a hole - well if you cut some denim out of our old genes and fold it a few times and then place that over the point drill, countersink (etc) and the work and go slow you'll get NO chatter at all - sometimes two folds on small work or three or more for large work.
And, I never use a twist drill to remove some metal in chambering - use your reamer in about .030 at a time with air and good cutting oil - it can set up a chatter you can't get rid of.
Thank old Dave --Harry B.