barrel bedding

ammo.crafter

What's a good substance to put on a barrel that will allow me to find the "high spots" on a rifle stock that needs to be removed when I place the barrelled action into the stock?

jcadwell

Inletting black. Brownells sells it. I've seen people try to use shoepolish and lipstick as well.

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

A felt pen might do it. Lipstick and shoe polish do for sure. Essentially anything that will leave a clear mark is all you need.

Clemson

Readily available is "Prussian Blue." Permatex makes it, and every auto parts store in the US carries it. Get a package of throwaway acid brushes to apply it to the barreled action when you get a tube of Prussian Blue. Just squeeze out a pea-sized squirt from the tube, and apply it with the brush.

Lipstick, shoe polish, and other such markers can be made to work, but the Prussian Blue works quite well and shows up very nicely on the stock wood. It is also easy to clean off the metal, whereas shoe polish and particularly lipstick are the devil to get off the action (and to keep off your shirt, which could be critical if your spouse does the laundry).

Clemson

Harry Bonar

bedding

Sir:
Bolt action rifles do not want the bbl. to touch anywhere along the bbl. channel! Bed the action recoil area with "Steel Bed" from Brownells.
Harry B.