Barnes XPB 140 gr vs Lehigh Extreme Penetrator 140 gr out of 357 Magnum Revolver For Wild Boar

Wyrdrock

Hello, everyone, I've been trying to find data on what bullet is better suited for the purposes of wild boar. The two bullets I'm trying to compare are the Barnes XPB 140gr vs the Lehigh Extreme Penetrator 140gr. Both are out of a 357 magnum with a 5 1/4" barrel. Both shoot good groups as far as placement goes, which makes sense since they are both solid copper and 140gr. I use the same powder charge for both averaging around 1500fps; the only variable is the bullet.

I am confident in the expansion characteristics of the Barnes XPB bullets since I have tested them in gel and they expand reliably. However when they encounter bone etc I am concerned of deviation or lack of penetration. The Lehigh extreme Penetrator seems like a good alternative on that front but I am somewhat wary of the new technology and fluid dynamic claims of the flutes. Does anyone have any opinions or experience with them that you'd be willing to share?

Any help or info is much appreciated. Thanks!

PS: For those that say that a 357 magnum is insufficient for such a task, it is what I am comfortable shooting and shoot best. I will not be switching to 44 magnum or any other caliber/platform for this task. Please keep discussion based around the topic of the performance of the two aforementioned bullets.

GeauxTide

You want full penetration, from any angle, on big hogs. A hard cast 158-160gr SWC, full out may do the trick. Having seen what a 357# Boar can absorb, I won't use anything less than a 45 Colt with 285gr SWC. 357 is my recoil comfort zone, too; however, I'm much more comfortable with a one shot dead hog. I bet my 1060fps loads kick far less than your stated loadings.

44 AMP

Staff
Considering that skilled people took all kinds of big game (including big bears) with the 158gr .357 (@ 1500fps from long barrel Smiths,) in the years between 1935 and WWII, and again after WWII, I'd say a 140 at 1500fps will do the job, if you do.

Marco Califo

OP is specifically asking about Copper bullets. I would choose the Barnes for proven expansion from their hollow points. The question is not answered with posts about lead bullets.
Experience about Copper bullet terminal ballistics would be useful (but I have none).

44 AMP

Staff
The OP also said this,
Any help or info is much appreciated. Thanks!

And my information is that the "classic" LSWC at 1500fps has taken big game
quite successfully. Therefore, one ought to be able to do the same thing with a copper 140gr. I use bullets that are designed to expand, and some that aren't. My experience is that both work, if the bullet gets where it needs to go. And that is mostly dependent on the person pulling the trigger.