Load help please.

62gr Barnes X bullet
223Rem/5.56 DPMS AR15 16". 1:9 twist

Powder choice on hand:
H335
H322
RL 7
RL 10X

Barnes web load data shows info on Tac & Varget. Neither of which I have.

This 62gr X will be used for hunting this fall.

QBall45

I tried calling this afteernoon. But, missed em by 15 minute. They close noon mtn time on fridays.

I'll have to try on monday.

rn22723

The powders you have are probably too fast, and Barnes did not have good results with anything other then what they listed...with that said......check the Hodgdon web site for possible starting points for the Hodgdon powder and the same for your Alliant powders.

QBall45

Thanks.

Why didn't I think of that? I'm the one that usually advises people to check manuals and web pages and stuff.

Hope I can find a load for a 62gr bullet. I'd looked last fall. If memory serves me I found for 62gr but not 62gr. Guess I'll get off the phone and go to the desktop and do some looking.

rn22723

Well, you probably will find 63gr info, and so that will be a starting point....but like I said I would suggest TAC or Varget!

QBall45

finally got a chance to look at Hodgdon's web page and found a couple loads for a 63gr bullet. :)

H335 22.5gr min 25.0gr max. min OAL 2.20
H322 20.0gr min 22.0gr max min OAL 2.20

I'm going to do a bit more looking around and will still be calling Barnes on Monday. Am hoping they will have something for me also.

Stick_man

Barnes has pretty good customer service. They have an email address and usually respond with an answer to questions within 2 or 3 days, rarely longer. They are usually very good to provide load data. If they have never tried the exact component combination you are asking about, my experience is they will correct that situation and get you the needed data.

Happy shooting!

QBall45

Yep...maybe as I'm not in a huge hurry and will likely load 45 in the morning...maybe I'll just shoot em an email rather than calling.

I'll post their response.

A_Gamehog

Something to try, Hodgdon is conservative in load data

Barnes is the opposite with their unique bullets. That bullet should work well
with H322 one of my go to powders..Funny thing about Barnes bullets is you are usually safe to use others load data on their bullets but Barne's data should never be used for other's bullets. They are unique (Barnes) and their design allows more of everything. Don't take this lightly if they don't list a load you have powder for you can with caution extrapolate data from other bullet/powder makers.

Work up to this! My own load !

23 Gr. H322
Lake city 08
CCI-400
Barnes 63 TSX

The bands in the shank allow for higher speed with a pressure reduction.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Lee's load book for the 63 grain Jacketed:
H335 22.5gr min 25.0gr max. 3051 FPS (BOLT GUN LOAD!)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Sierra's Load book edition 5 has Loads for their bullets only, 63 grain bullets:

http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf

RL-7 18.5 min 21.5 max 3000 fps (Listed as the accuracy load)**usually is and indicator for a good load. proven, tested, true, (BOLT GUN LOAD!)
H335 23.2 min 26.4 max 3100+fps (BOLT GUN LOAD!)
reloader 10X is for 55 grains and less fails to group...
Powders you should also try,
Tac, Reloader 15.

Sierra's accuracy load for the AR-15 is:
63 Grain SMP ,H335 25.2 REM ,7 1/2 ,2900+fps

Try the reloader 7 and let me know...

Last edited:

Qtiphky

Didn't work for me

I tried the 62 TSX BT with Varget. I used 23.5 grains. I shot them out of a Mini 14, an Armalite AR180B and a Bushmaster. The bushmaster did the best when I seated them 2.17 OAL with a grouping of 1.55 at 100 yrds. All the rest of my testing produced no groups whatsoever at any OAL or out of any of my three guns. All had a 1:9 twist. 55 grain and lighter bullets all shoot MOA or better with all three guns, don't know why, just is that way.

QBall45

Finally got a reply from Barnes CS. They recommend using Hodgdon's load data for 63gr fmj's as a good place to start.

Guess I'll just have to get to work at the bench.