Barnes TTSX

olddav

I've been reloading for a few years using mostly Hornady and Sierra bullets and am happy with them for the most part. Resently I stumbled upon a couple of boxes of Barnes 160gr TTSX bullets for my 338-06, after recovering from sticker shock I decided to give them a try. I started at the min and loaded 26 bullets for a ladder test in .2 grain increments stopping at the published max. I also used the COL that Barnes listed for this bullet.
Now for the interesting part. While loading these 26 rounds I checked the COL as I went. All cartridges measured with in a .001" of the first one loaded, Hornady on the other hand has been all over the map. I haven't finished my load development yet but I have high hopes for these bullets. Can't help be think that consistency like that should translate to smaller groups, but as usual I could be wrong.

jmr40

When I started loading TTSX's I was advised to go light, seat them deep and shoot them fast. That has worked for me. I found the best accuracy with them seated so that the groove closest to the tip was just exposed in my 308 shooting 130's @ 3050 fps. From what I've read others are getting the best accuracy using that as a guide. Or at least as deep as the powder will allow.

Cost is high, they are not plinking bullets. But for a hunting only bullet it isn't too bad. I figured that the savings of buying 200 Hornady Interlokts over 200 Barnes TTSX's wouldn't pay for a tank of gas for my truck. 200 bullets would last me 2-3 years for load development, zeroing, a little practice and hunting. The cost of 1 tank of gas every 2-3 years is nothing compared to all other hunting expenses. Of course that was when gas was $3/gal. I guess I could pay for 2 tanks today, but that isn't too bad spread over 2-3 years.

Savage99

I have been handloading, competitive shooting, hunting and testing rifles for over 60 years.

I started with Sierra and later the others.

The solid metal bullets by barnes and others don't shoot as well for me so far. Nor do I have any need for them.

The COL of a bullet or load is of little need or benefit to me?

I care how the rifle shoots and the bullet performs.

Snyper

Can't help be think that consistency like that should translate to smaller groups, but as usual I could be wrong.
I've never found a Barnes bullet for any of my guns that was more accurate than another brand.

The terminal perfomance was always good, but not so much better than others to be worth twice the cost.

The best use I see for them is when using them in smaller cartridges for larger game, such as a 223 for deer

MightyMO1911

My aught 6 loves the TTSX. But it also loves Nosler ballistic tips. I was given a box to try and I'll say this. I've never seen the inside of a deer look like that. Talk about DRT. It was quick.

steve4102

Good luck with your test.
I only have one comment about your procedure.

.2 grain increments

With a case capacity as large as the 338-06, I think you are wasting your bullets by going with .02gr increments. With a case that big I would go no less than .05gr or maybe even more to start.