barnes grenades

Kato_Guy

has anyone used these new barnes 36gr grenades??

I was thinking about ordering some they sound like they are a fun little bullet! They have a tin-composite core instead of a lead core. I guess they just explode whit it hits stuff!

let me know if anyone has any experience with them!

kyle

gary2905

Kato,
Bought a box but needed reload data for 22-250 and 223.
Here is what Ty at Barnes Bullets wrote: "These new Varmint Grenade bullets have a highly frangible copper/ tin core that was developed for military applications. Their scored jacket design and no velocity limit make them a great choice for varmint hunting.

At this time we don't have load data for the 36gr Varmint Grenade bullets. We are recommending the use of our 50gr VLC load data or your favorite 40gr uncoated data from other manuals/ manufacturers."
Will post results shortly after I reload a few and take them to the range- maybe a milk jug or pigeon to see how they behave on impact.

Gary

dgc940

I have. in 22-250 I loaded some with 37.5 of varget and shot a .502 4 shot group also loaded 4 with 36.0 of benchmark and shot a .454 loaded both at 2.390 col. also 38.6 of H414 did a .811 all in a Tikka varmint.
I realy dont like them as much as the now discontinued varmintators though they are too fragile for me.
I had to look through my targets and notes to find this and dont know why I did 4 shot groups???
I have never had a Barnes product that did not shoot well!

Kato_Guy

a few of my reloading books have been different on grains of powder to use. I have a one manual the has the 50gr vlc in it. It says to use 23.0gr for a min and 27.0gr for a max of h335 does this sound right?(its for .223) Look same in anyone else's books?

thanks
kyle

Bigbearall1

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I also called barnes about the 36gr varmint grenade, and they had nothing for a varget load. In the 223, shot from a mini-14 target rifle, I can get 5 shot, dime size results at 100 yards. I played with the load quite a bit, and settled on this load: 26gr. varget, new winchester cases, winchester primer, set at 2.234, plus or minus a couple .001. According to my chrono, they shoot at around 2950 from a mini, and 3150 from my bushmaster. I wanted the load for coyotes, but so far have only taken a grinner at 90 yards, man, it was nasty, they really do work. BEAR