Barnes Buster's in 45 Colt...?

ipscchef

What exactly are they?
I load cast mostly in my 45's. I have been using Leadhead Bullets 270gr. Keiths and so far they have been fantastic. But have not heard of the bullet you mention. could you describe it? I am always interested in something I have not tried before.:)

Willy

ipscchef

It looks like a heck of a bullet. I could see it being worth the expense in say, a 45-70, but let me ask you- and I am honestly not trying to be a wise guy or anything- but in a .45 Colt, and i assume you are talking about something like a Blackhawk like mine are, would a good hard cast bullet serve just as well? My two current loads for my Blackhawks are a Leadhead 270gr. Keith over 9.0gr. of unique at about 950fps. + or- is my everyday working load. The last deer I used it on was a smallish, 120lb. whitetail doe, smashing the on side shoulder and coming out through the ribcage upon exit.
My other is my "Heavy Load" is a Cast Performance WLNGC 335gr. over 22.5gr. of H110 at about 1180 fps. I have not used this load on anything yet but I think it would go clean through just about anything you would use it on.
I guess my point is that you may be able to get the job done about as well with a lot less expense.
Having said all that, I really want to try those Belt Mountain Punch bullets in my 45-70 Guide Gun. What have you used them in? How have they worked for you?

Bill Henderson

Stargazer

It looks like a heck of a bullet. I could see it being worth the expense in say, a 45-70, but let me ask you- and I am honestly not trying to be a wise guy or anything- but in a .45 Colt, and i assume you are talking about something like a Blackhawk like mine are, would a good hard cast bullet serve just as well? My two current loads for my Blackhawks are a Leadhead 270gr. Keith over 9.0gr. of unique at about 950fps. + or- is my everyday working load. The last deer I used it on was a smallish, 120lb. whitetail doe, smashing the on side shoulder and coming out through the ribcage upon exit.
My other is my "Heavy Load" is a Cast Performance WLNGC 335gr. over 22.5gr. of H110 at about 1180 fps. I have not used this load on anything yet but I think it would go clean through just about anything you would use it on.
I guess my point is that you may be able to get the job done about as well with a lot less expense.
Having said all that, I really want to try those Belt Mountain Punch bullets in my 45-70 Guide Gun. What have you used them in? How have they worked for you?

I prefer not to use lead bullets, numerous reasons worthy of a thread all its own. I know they work just fine but I tried some and after (20) rounds I "chore boyed" about two dimes worth in size of shaved lead from my barrel. Instead I use 300 grain XTP's exclusively. One reason I wanted the punch bullets was my buddy shot a 300 # hog three times with a 44 magnum rifle and none of the bullets made it past the ribs. He was using XTP's. The Barnes Busters are sold in (50) round boxes so that will equal a lifetime of rounds. I do not plink with the punch bullets, just tried a few through my 4" RedHawk to make sure they worked and did not tumble and hit the target where I intended it to. The Barnes Busters would be for Bear, Hog, dinosaurs, etc. The 300 grain XTP's should work just fine on everything else. With the 4" RedHawk I can not get much in velocity anyway so I just throw heavy chunks of copper and lead. I have a BlackHawk 45 convertable that can get up to speed with that 7.5" barrel.

ipscchef

Yeah,
I agree there are some downsides with lead,:( no doubt cleaning can take up some real time and effort that the jacketed stuff solves.