Barnes Banded Solid for 30-06

James R. Burke

Just wondering if anyone out there has used the Barnes Banded Solid for the 30-06. What are you using for powder etc, and what do you think of them. Just picked up a few, and just looking for some general info.
Thanks Jim

A_Gamehog

Use the 147 Gr. Winchester FMJ instead

1/2 the price and good groups out to 400+ yards for me. Try IMR 4831 and CCI LR primers, Rem Brass, If all you have is Winchester Brass use Winchester Primers. The Barnes bullets are not meant for game hunting due to no expansion. I shot them, they fly great, have no lead, but I get 200 Winchester bullets for the price of 50 Barnes Bullets. The accuracy is not enough to warrant the extra expense. Winchester 147 FMJ are over 3,000 FPS+ what's not to like? comes with a cannelure, use the Lee crimp die. That's my go to Coyote load. Small hole in, small hole out, no expansion. Shoots thru 3/8" steel plates @ 300 yards. No .223 or 22-250 does that.

Just my 2 cents..

James R. Burke

Barnes

I'am using a Ruger NO 1 so I am not crimping. I have them so I figure I might as well try them. The manual was suggesting IMR 4064. I use Laupa cases for everything, and the CCI large primer. For my varmint round I'am using the Hornady 110 V-Max in the 30-06. With that load I'am using 58.4 grains of Varget. Five shot average is 3712 f.p.s. It will shoot five shot groups 3/4" at 100 yards all day long. Still under the max on the powder no signs of presure. Got the Barnes Solids just to try something new. Makes more sense to use what you said, and save some big bucks but I already got the Barnes. Thanks
Jim

A_Gamehog

Good @ 100

The heavier bullets @ 200-300 will perform better. The speed of the 110's are phenomenal. Long before all these "Plastic Tipped Bullets" were the Fad Remington made the Bronze Pointed Bullets. Then Nosler bade Ballistic Tipped in the 80's almost as good. Now everyone does. One advantage of those Barnes bullets are the bands on the shank, this is more efficient and allows higher speeds generally. Those loads for the "Banded solids" are only to be used with the "Banded Solids" same for the TSX's, and MRX's. Some average loads that I shoot @100 are great loads from 200-400. Don't prejudge results only based on 100 yard groups. I load 3 shot strings to get an average good/best load @ 100. Then 10 are loaded with that favorite load, 5 are shot at 100, then 5 at 200. That usually eliminates or pinpoints the desired rounds I want. Most of my coyotes I call in are shot at 100 yards or less. I still prefer 6" or better groups at 400 yards which for me is just fine for Coyotes. You did not waste your money, record/log the results and move on. IMR 4831 is made for the 270 & 30-06 case.

James R. Burke

Money

Thanks for the tip on the powder I do have a pound of it. Your 100% right at getting some groups at longer ranges. I am going to half to find a spot were I can get 300 yards or better. I am in Michigan, all are ranges are at the 100 yard mark. There is one place a gravel pit I might be able to get the 300 out of. Thanks again for the info saves alot of money trying powders etc.
Jim

A_Gamehog

Get to know somebody with Beef Cattle or a Dairy.

They are always wanting predator control to help with calf survival in tough times. get your foot in the door by shooting a few Coyotes and prove to the Men you are responsable around their $livestock$ and you will have friends who let you hunt free for life. One ranch in Eastern Oregon I hunt lets me use their ATV when I get there and supplys all the gasoline I need. It helps to spend time asking in a local coffe shop who has all the livestock damage or who to talk to. It should not be a one way street as far as them giving you something, By that I mean when they mark and brand they can count on me to help out, If a fence is down I fix it. Salt of the earth are the people who work ouside for a living.

I was raised by a WWII Ex-Marine-Cowboy...

"Common sense can't be bought in a store."

James R. Burke

Farmers

Your right, treat people good, and in turn they will help you out. What you said is a win/win for everyone. Were I live in Michigan if you ask to hunt someones land for deer or varmints they will almost all the time let you. I will stop, and talk with them or help out with something that is most the time small. I always bring them some venision after I have it processed, and you get to know some nice people. Lots of people fail to ask, and they miss some of the best hunting around, or do it anyways then that gives us good guys a bad name. Take care. Jim