Barnes 125 357 Sig

ligonierbill

I've loaded a few Barnes bullets with pretty good results, mainly their 140 XPBs in .357 Mag. Now I found some .355 TAC-XP 125s designated for 357 Sig. Anyone used these? Barnes lists loads for AA#5 and Silhouette, and I will send them a note inquiring about Power Pistol (one of my favorites). Just for fun, I ran Barnes' max loads in Quickload. It calculated pressure right up at spec max and 100 fps more than Barnes measured. Seems like these long (0.724") copper bullets are out of range for that software. Anyone shooting Barnes in their 357 Sig?

WESHOOT2

this is NOT advice

I have found that Silhouette data in the .355" bores can be reduced .2g for Power Pistol.

I note I often run the same charge weights of WAP and Power Pistol with numerous bullets in numerous chamberings.

ligonierbill

Thanks. I'll see what Barnes has to say. They always test Western and Accurate powders, but when asked they recommend loads for others. The Barnes max loads are 7.3 AA#5 and 6.4 Silhouette, both clocked just under 1,200. QL says those should go 100 fps faster at a MAP just under 44 ksi. To get Barnes' tested velocities (and 35 ksi) from QL, I had to back off half a grain. Now QL says 6.3 grains PP will give 1,210 at 33 ksi (and 103% case vol). That's 0.1 grain below Barnes' max for Silhouette, in line with your experience, but above QL loads. Ain't it fun? Just need my dies off backorder and a little better weather.

WESHOOT2

this is NOT theoretical

With a 124g JHP in the wee 9x19 case I might possibly hypothetically potentially run 6.4g Power Pistol without the slightest issue.
Might run more.

But I'll never run QL; I run my guns-n-chrono ;)

Power Pistol, Silhouette/WAP, HS6, 3N37: These powders in the .355" bores, they can be pushed.
Said pushing should be attempted only by those who acknowledge and understand and appreciate what pushing entails, requires, and demands.

So don't let them long slippery Barnes get pushed back evem a mite in them short-necked SIG cases :D