"Bargain" Rem 700ADL, .223 Rem

Picher

I "lucked" onto a "new-in-box" 700ADL, .223 Rem/with "cheap" scope at a salvage store for $265. Before shooting it, I pillar-bedded the action, adjusted the new trigger, and free-floated the barrel. Then, I picked up a Leupold VX2, 3-9x, on-sale, mounted and bore-sighted it at 50 feet in the basement.

Winter was long and I didn't get out to sight it in until yesterday. The club range road is closed due to spring conditions, so the rifle sat unused until yesterday, when I hiked down the woods road behind the house, which still has about a foot of snow on most of it. I didn't sink in more than 3", most places.

There's no benchrest down there, so I packed my folding stool, a telescoping mono-pod hunting rest, ammo, and a water bottle in my backpack and slung the rifle over my shoulder. I also pasted 2 - 2" diameter fluorescent orange target dots on a fresh piece of stiff cardboard of adequate size and carried that.

It was a cloudy day, but fairly warm (44* f). I found a place in the edge of the hardwoods where the sun had melted all the snow, set up the stool there, then set up the cardboard target at 50 yards, in the snow and against a 3" sapling.

First shot was 2" right and 2" low. After adjusting the sights, I moved the target to 100 yards. First shot at that distance was about 1" above the bull. I wanted to sight this rifle in about 1/2"-3/4" above target center, so adjusted to that point and fired a 1/2" 3-shot group, exactly where I wanted it. (Not so high that I'd miss a small critter at 100 yards, and above the aiming point for load-testing.)

I'm more than pleased with the rifle/scope/handload combo and the trigger, which is the newest Rem Mark X-II(?) trigger, which is only adjustable with the action removed from the stock. It seems like a pretty good trigger, compared with the previous model that supposedly "adjusted" externally. I've tried to adjust several and they didn't seem to get lower than about 4 pounds, even with the screw removed. This one is safe at 2 1/2 lbs.

This will be primarily a range-loaner and home varmint rifle that I can keep near the door for dispatching 'yotes and other varmints within two-hundred yards of the house.

I like the balance and weight, but might get a better stock on it at some point.

BumbleBug

WOW! That was a bargain. The action alone would sells for more than what you paid.

How come I never come across these bargains? LOL

Congrad's to you!

Scorch

Be very, very careful! Those rifles have a habit of taking over the favorite range bag position from other rifles. If you are not careful, all you'll want to shoot is that little 223 and shot little tiny groups. I recommend you go buy a new 338 or 300 Win Mag and let them abuse you, don't let that little sweet shooter sweet-talk you into thinking you can't live without her. ;)

Good find!

Picher

Scorch: Too old to be abused by heavy cartridges. Have a couple of .270s, .243s, and now, 3 .223 bolt guns. The .223 is my fav. range cartridge. It's cheap to load, very forgiving, and accurate as heck.

If I didn't get the rifle as cheap as I did, wouldn't have bought it, but I don't want friends to shoot out my other .223s on the range, so this one can be a loaner.

I'm surprised at how nice it is, considering that it's a lower-end 700.

JP

Rmart30

When Wal mart will run the youth 243's for $299 I didnt think that could be beat. Very nice deal ya got.

Picher

The store's slogan: "Shoulda bought it when you saw it at Marden's."

In the past, I've bought two other guns there. The first is a Rem 504, .22LR that has a beautiful stock and is very accurate. The second is a S&W M&P .45 auto.

The company tends to buy out gunshops that were either burned, flooded, or otherwise gone out of business. I'm pretty careful to get only some good ones.

JP

Last edited:

taylorce1

I have the exact same rifle, bought it for $370 right after the recall. It shoots pretty darn sweet with 55 grain Sierras and TSX bullets. I put mine in a B&C 2950 stock, which if you watch you can pick up less than $250 delivered. The stock takes a little fitting to get the barrel and action in the channel correctly, but a guy with some patience can do it at home. However, I think it's a great stock for the money.

Picher

I checked on Stocky's and that stock costs $272. That's more than I paid for the rifle! Guess it will live in the modified factory stock, which is quite stable, after pillar-bedding and free-floating. It's even got a nice recoil pad.

Of course, the Leupold 3-9 VX2 also cost a bit more than the rifle, but worth every penny and it was on sale for $270, I believe.

Picher

Yesterday, I compared the weights of my Rem 700 Light Varmint SS .223 with the new ADL. They both have Leupold VX2s with detachable mounts.

I was surprised to find that they both weighed 7.6 pounds. The Varmint model has a fluted barrel that's shorter than the ADL's, but the stock is probably a bit heavier.

(Yesterday, the ADL went for a walk with me down the back-forty access road for the first time this Spring. It carried well and I glassed a couple of young does in the big blueberry field. Didn't see anything to shoot at, but it was very nice to sit on a rock wall and enjoy the 75* temperature.)

taylorce1

Your rifle is lighter than mine even with the B&C stock. My rifle weighs 8 lbs. 3oz. but I'm using a little heavier scope and probably rings. My scope is a Weaver 3-10X40 Tactical Grand Slam and I have it in Leupold QRW rings. My scope is a at least 5 ounces heavier than yours. However at 8 lbs. it is still a nice rifle to carry out calling coyotes or the prairie dog fields.