Baretta T-3 in 30.06 stainless vs. Savage 111FXCP3 with Simmons scope (Package deal)

stinger 427

Lets also throw in the CZ-550 American which doesn't come with scope in 30.06 caliber.
The Baretta Tikka 3 doesn't come with a scope like the Savage but does come with scope rings and of course will cost more in the end.

Which rifle in 30.06 is more accurate? What would be the order you put these 3 rifles in from 1 being the best to 3 in last place?:confused:

All 3 of these are bolt actions with the CZ-550 American with a true Mauser action.

Baretta T-3 had the smoothest bolt action and felt the best in handling.

Savage is the lowest in cost and comes with scope and is bore sighted already plus it has a great reputation for accuracy. (No accu-trigger on this model).

tube_ee

The scope's servicable, but cheap.

The Savage is a great gun, but no accutrigger would rule it out for me. The others will have a higher level of fit and finish, and whatever scope ou buy for it, even if it's another Simmons, will likely be better than the one you'l get with the package.

And note that "boresighted from the factory" is a euphemism for "you'll need to sight it in as if you'd mounted the scope yourself".

My Savage 10GXP3 package was nowhere close when I got it. The 3-9x40 has since been traded off to my Dad, where it sits on an Izmesh Biathalon Basic... the Simmons 6-18x40 that was on it was just too much scope for a .22LR... but it's fantastic on a .22-250.

I would always recommend a used rifle, if you're looking for something scoped and ready to go... especially if it's in a caliber as common as .30-06.

There's just too many good ones out there to buy one new, unless you can't find anything you like locally. Which was why I bought the Savage... the only used .22-250 I found was a shot-to-heck 1980 Remington 700BDL... and they wanted the same money as a new Savage.

If you can find one of the FN-built Ted Williams (Sears) .30-06s, you'll be golden. I forget the model number, but they're everywhere. But there's lots of choces in .30-06, and a quality rifle with a good scope shouldn't set you back more than 400 bucks.

--Shannon

stinger 427

Thus far the Savage and the Baretta T-3 are the easiest to find.
The CZ-550 American is very hard to find. These are all for new rifles.
The Savage is the most lowest cost, The Baretta T-3 cost more plus cost of scope but has the best bolt action feel and handling as it's lighter.

stinger 427

So bore sighted from factory doesn't really mean anything? You are better off starting from scratch with another scope and mounting it yourself even if you are a newbie?

Kreyzhorse

The Savage unto itself is a great rifle and I'd go with it above the others. They are very accurate but to be honest, all three rifles are likely plenty accurate as hunting rifles.

While I recommend Savage above all other rifles, if you buy the Savage simply because "it comes with a scope" you'll be disappointed. The "package" scopes and rings are pretty poor quality and it will be a matter of time before you replace them both so don't look at it that the Savage is the cheaper option. You'll have to buy a scope and rings no matter what you buy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you out of the Savage, but if you like the Titka more, I would let a cheap Simmons scope and rings stand in my way of buying it.

stinger 427

Yes I agree. I would not let the scope sell me. It's just the overall price out the door for Savage ($399 for the Savage) $461.00 total .
The Tikka would be 599 vs. 399.
The Savage seems to have the greatest reputation especially for the $$$ and great accuracy but now is this the bargain Savage or the higher end Savages with the accu-trigger feature?

The Tikki has the smoothest bolt action and looks the best made. You can see the quality plus it's stainless and a smaller easy to handle rifle. Though that may translate to more recoil but I just want the most accurate rifle I can get.

They are both about equally accurate straight out of the box.

If the Savage does not have the accutrigger then I would spend the few extra $ and either get one of the same model with the accutrigger or pony up the money and get the Tikka. Tikka's have an excellent factory trigger. Not as good as the accutrigger but definately a nice one.

You can save a few $ on the Tikka by getting the blued version instead of stainless.

Whichever rifle you decide to get, you won't be dissappointed with the accuracy.

Kreyzhorse

and great accuracy but how is this the bargain Savage

Accu-trigger or not, any Savage you buy is going to be a accurate. I've got a non accu-trigger Savage in 7mm Rem Mag and its just scary accurate.

LanceOregon

Let's see, you already have stated in the other thread going about the CZ 550 that you ordered Remington's least expensive rifle, the 770, and have decided to not keep it for being dissatisfied with it. Now, you are choosing between the lowest cost models from Sako and Savage.

Savage includes their AccuTrigger with almost all of their centerfire rifles these days. For this gun to not include the AccuTrigger truly means that it is definitely the most heavily stripped down model Savage rifle.

Likewise, the T3 has a lot of compromises made to it in order to keep its costs down, as I mentioned in the other thread.

The CZ 550 is definitely the superior rifle, as it is not designed to be any sort of bargain basement gun. While it would probably require you to save another $130 to $140 in order to purchase, it would be the more quality investment in my opinion. It also has the advantage of being the only one of these 3 rifles with a full 24 inch long barrel, thus giving you full spec performance with any factory ammo that you use.

There is a reason why the CZ 550 is so hard to find:

Supply has not been able to meet the demand for it.

The new Browning X-Bolt is a brand new rifle that is right around the same price as a CZ 550. If you want a more modern design rifle, it would be a good one to also consider. And its availability is much better than the CZ 550.

Another good alternative ( although the most expensive of these that I have mentioned ) to consider would be the Sako A7 ( which I also talked about in the other thread ). It would require you to spend about another $180 to $190 But you would end up with a much nicer rifle. If you want something similar to the T3 in weight and size, but made better with better materials and with guaranteed accuracy, it would be a good rifle to consider.

Buying something because it is inexpensive and readily available is not the best thing to do, in my opinion.

--

Last edited:

LanceOregon

Accu-trigger or not, any Savage you buy is going to be a accurate. I've got a non accu-trigger Savage in 7mm Rem Mag and its just scary accurate.

I disagree. Buying the very "cheapest" of anything, is often not a good idea. Savage includes the AccuTrigger on all of their rimfire bolt actions ( separate rifle and packaged ), and on all of their individual centerfire rifles. There are only a couple of their centerfire packaged series products that don't include the AccuTrigger.

You are also assuming that no other shortcuts have been made to this package, in order to bring it down to being a bargain basement model.

--

stinger 427

Actually at this point, it would be the Baretta T-3 vs. the CZ-550 American but It isn't a smart thing to have to pre-pay for a rifle you aren't sure about and can't find samples of it whereas The Baretta T-3 I already am very familiar how it feels. As previously mentioned if I didn't know about the Baretta there would be a good chance I would have got one of the Savage models for $399 and or $499 with scopes.

What I really noticed about the Baretta over the CZ and the Vanguard is the bolt action felt alot smoother. The CZ and Vanguard have beautiful wood stocks but were large and heavy rifles so that made the Baretta stand out more because it is light and better handling. I know this means more recoil on the down side.

The Vanguard and CZ had floor plates for loading ammo directly into rifle which would take more time and slower to reload whereas the Baretta had the detachable magazines which would be easier and faster to reload if clips are pre-loaded which I'm used to.:D

The CZ has an excellent reputation which is why I wish I could find a display :(model to compare it to the Baretta but a few months ago as my memory serves me the Baretta shined the best in the action and handling of rifle over the other two.

sholling

I like the Tikka T3 and own three of them. The trigger is adjustable and most people like it better than Savage's Accutrigger. I like Savages but would not buy one without an Accutrigger.

stinger 427

You own 3 Tikkis wow again maybe I should consider getting both the CZ-550 American and The T-3:D
But the time has come now to decide between the two if I can only have one. Problem is I can't find a CZ-550 on display to compare it again in more detail to the T-3.:confused:

stinger 427

Sholling I forgot to ask you what 3 calibers do you have in that T-3?
Do they shoot pretty accurate? How would you rate it against the CZ-550 American?:confused:

willymike

Between me and my boys' we own three Tikka T3 Hunters in 308 Win; 30-06; and 270 Win. Additionally, we have two Tikka Whitetail Hunters in 243 Win and 7mm Rem Mag. I'm also looking to add a .223 in the near future.

One of my closest friends has a CZ 550 in 6.5X55 Swede and we shoot quite often together. His CZ is a beautiful rifle and very accurate.

Honestly, the T3 and CZ shoot about the same as far as accuracy, especially with handloads. They probably are more accurate than the person pulling the trigger. Both are fine guns. It's not hard to get sub MOA groups out of either one. I've never seen either a Tikka or CZ that were bad shooters. Both have excellent triggers that can be adjusted. The Tikka bolt is definitely the smoothest of the two.

I opted for the T3 Hunter (wooden stock) version since the gun fit me better, was a shade lighter, and simply handled better. The CZ was heavier and more pondersome to handle. The CZ has a nicer finish with regard to the checkering (in wooden stock version) and overall finish.

I bought the T3s in the Hunter version since it did weigh a little more than the T3 Lite rifles, yet is light enough for my surgically repaired arms and shoulders to tote, and the fact that I'm burnt out on black synthetic stocks (no soul and no character - those chunks of black polymer). My Tikka Whitetails are black synthetic and I wish I'd have purchased the wood stock version for them.

My perspective is that if you want an accurate, light, and quick handling rifle then go with the Tikka. If you want a more highly finished rifle, and the weight does not bother you, then opt for the CZ. Both are good guns for the money.

I would be quite happy with either rifle for the money spent and both should be considered bargains.

stinger 427

So my memory does serve me correct.
I thought that the CZ-550 American was the heaviest rifle I looked at among the Vanguard, Savage, and T-3. That is what stood out and so did the wood stock as I recall a few months ago. On the T-3 it was that bolt action that was better feeling than all of them along with size and handling.
It's just that now the CZ is difficut to get or find a display to make a sound decision/comparison and the Tikka 3 is much easier to find and check it out before purchase.

Kreyzhorse

I disagree. Buying the very "cheapest" of anything, is often not a good idea.

I agree with you on this one. My Savage was bought the year before the Accu-Trigger was common place on their rifles and I had that in mind.

If the only non Accu-Trigger rifles that Savage sells are package rifles, I'd likely avoid those wondering what other short cuts they've taken too. Without a doubt pre Savage Accutrigger rifles are very accurate, but I would certainly question why these package rifles don't have it.

sholling

The three Tikkas that I own are T3 Lites in 30-06 and 300WM and a T3 Super Varmint in 223. I can't fairly compare them to CZs. The only CZ that I've owned was a 453. What I didn't like was the long bolt throw of that CZ. It forced the scope t sit too high for my taste.

The only downside to a T3 Lite they are so light that you need to replace the recoil pad with a Limbsaver. My 30-06 with Talley Lightweight mounts and a 13oz Nikon Team Primos scope weights in at just a hair over 7lbs.

IMG_0243a.jpg

IMG_0245a.jpg

IMG_0246a.jpg

T3 Lite 30-06 w/Limbsaver

IMG_0088a.jpg

300WM with Burris Signature Select in a DedNutz mount.

IMG_0091a-1.jpg

T3 Super Varmint

vetteracer92

I bought the Savage 111 package, pre accutrigger and had to toss the scope. It wouldn't hold anywhere near zero. As far as the Savage goes, I would like a little more weight to it.

stinger 427

Vette Racer,
The Tikka 3 Lite is something like 6.6 lbs. lighter than the Savage.
You might like the CZ-550 American which is around 8 lbs. heavy with real wood stocks and true Mauser design.
These are both the rifles I have to chose from and it is going to be a bit difficult for me to do so with the high reputation of CZ vs. the feel, quality and smoother action of the T-3. I read somewhere here that the Tikka 3 is a 3 shot 1 inch group at 100 yards.
I don't know if this is considered great or fair or what.
I don't know what the specs. in that area is on the CZ-550.
This may sound funny but I would want to get the more capable accurate rifle even though I know it's up to the shooter skills.

Last edited: