Bar-Sto barrel as added insurance in G22 S&W?

dgang

I have been reading more and more about the danger of the unsupported case in a .40 Glock and have gotten to the point where I'm wary of shooting any kind of reload in my G22, but realize that there are 10s of thousands of Glocks out there probably firing millions of reloads.
As is my habit for reloading, I start with a powder charge of 92% of stated max load and work up to 96-97% of the "do not exceed" looking for signs of excess pressure along the way. If there is none I stay with the same amount of powder,97% of max, as long as the other components remain the same for the recipe. I also seat the bullets out as far as reasonable possible to reduce pressure in case I accidently throw a few extra granules in the case.
Today I was shooting a load I have been working up(8.4 gr. of blue dot, about 95% of max 8.8 gr., with a 180 gr. Hornady XTP bullet) and the gun damn near seemed to blow up. It kicked the spent case about twice as far as usual and the recoil seemed a LOT more powerful, jerking my hands about 2 feet into the air. The report was enough for the other shooters around me to look in my direction. Luckily I was using new Star-line brass. I don't know what went wrong, but I think I was close to a disaster.
Finally the question. If the load had been a little more powerful I'm sure I would have experienced a kb. Would a Bar-Sto barrel prevented this? I not thinking of buying one in order to produce more powerful loads, but just thinking of added insurance in case of a similar accident. Also, does the Bar-Sto barrel actually offer more support or does it just have closer tolerances making it stronger. I understand they will also shoot lead bullets and are more accurate. The lead bullets are not important but the improved accuracy would be nice.
Any thoughts and/or ideas on the Bar-Sto would be appreciated. And thanks for reading this overly long question. PS The remaining XTP loads are being disassembled. Good shootin' to you all. dgang

s_lew

Yes, the Bar-Sto Glock barrels have more case support. A number of Glock shooters in my area have swapped to Bar-Sto barrels either to shoot reloads, lead bullets, get improved accuracy, and/or as an extra margin of safety against kB!s.

Note that these are match barrels and even the 'drop-in' Bar-sto's may require minor fitting.

I have a drop-in in my M21. Once fitted properly, it has proven reliable so far and is more accurate than the factory barrel.

These also have 'match' chambers and, in theory, may be less forgiving with bad, oversized, really cruddy ammo than the factory barrel. However, to date, I have not had any feeding problems at all with good quality ammo.

If I feel I need maximum reliability for more serious apps, I simply put the factory barrel back in and shoot factory loads. Nice option to be able to switch barrels as needed.

Another option is Jarvis barrels, who also lists a 'drop-in' barrel for Glocks. I hear good things about them, too.