BAR? Accuracy?

Wraith

How accurate is the BAR? Is it possible to adapt for accurate long range shooting? I have never handled one but would like one in .325 WSM if they are eventually made for that caliber. I am not a fan of the WSMs, however the .325 WSM seems too good to be true.

-Wraith

keens

My buddy's .270 BAR shoots inch and a half at 100 yards all day with hunting ammo...try some different types of ammo to see what your BAR (or future BAR likes). One warning though...the customer service at Browning was a nightmare for him when a cocking arm broke...he finally just ordered the part from Brownell's (they are wonderful) and repaired it himself. He had someone else refinish his stock and that thing looks and shoots great...
Now for just a hint of advice...make sure you understand how to keep the BAR clean before you buy...you can only clean the barrel from the muzzle (I think I am right on this)...compare that to cleaning most bolt guns...then decide. Just my two cents worth...
Sorry, one more thing. The BAR feels great to shoot...one shot and I wanted one too.

bill k

I have a Browning Safari 338 win mag with the boss system. It shoots right at an inch and a half at 100 yards with factory ammo. I haven't reloaded for it yet. My friend has a BAR 7 mm rem mag without the boss. His reloads shoot under and inch at 100 yards and has been as small as 3/8" with four shot groups.
I can't comment on long range as of yet. My 200 yard groups are around 3 inches if not more.
When I start reloading for that round I expect to be well under an inch at 100, wishful thinking right.

Wraith

Thanks for the replies. I just hope they come out with one in .325 WSM now. How is the recoil on the magnums?

Jseime

magnums

the BAR should really tame the magnum recoil more than a bolt would because of the gas operation system. the newly redesigned BAR looks baaaaad too they did a nice job

esldude

Know a couple people owning these. 30-06 in one, 7mm Mag in the other. One shoots about 2-2.5 inches at 100 yards. The other is about 3 inches at 100 yards. Both with factory ammo, not handloads. Both shooters have other rifles they can shoot into an inch most of the time, so I don't think the problem is them.

arthurrh

I've been toying with a BAR in 30-06 for a friend. It shoots about 3" at 100 yards if you let it cool down real well between shots. If you don't let it cool, then it shoots about 5". So far I've been pretty unsatisfied with this gun.