Bar .308

Peter Gun

I'm looking for a .308 semi auto. It will be my one rifle. I'm looking for something for bear defense, target shooting, and home (rural) defense. I've settled on a BAR liteweight, a VEPR carbine, or a M!A scout model. I'm leaning towards the BAR, but I wish it had a higher mag capacity. Anybody know if there are any 10rnd mags somewhere for this gun? I have yet to find any. Any input on any of these guns is appreciated. I am open to other sugg, but keep in mind it has to be under 9lbs, reliable, gas operated and less than $1000. Oops, I think I just eliminated the M1A. Thanks!

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Purely opinion, but if you really need more than the magazine capacity of the BAR, you probably won't have time to use it. Anything that keeps coming at you after five rounds is too tough for a .308, or else you can't shoot well enough to hit. Or, your poor judgement put you in that confrontation to start with. Sorry to phrase it harshly, but think about it a bit.

Non-grizzly bear? Two or three .308 hits at close range oughta put "paid" to Brother Bruin. People? I really, really doubt that a large armed mob would be the problem--in which case flight beats fight.

Either the Great Miami Shootout or the Great LA Shootout would have been over quite quickly with two aimed rounds of .308 hunting ammo.

Besides, the BAR is purtier.

:), Art

Peter Gun

Yes, I doubt I would need more than 5 shots, but it's always nice to have more. I think the BAR is the leader, but it would be nice to have bigger mags at the range. The factory ones seem to be really expensive ($60ea?). I may still end up getting a VEPR if I can't find a BAR used because of the price. Thanks for the input.

BusGunner007

BAR Stalker:
All matte black with synthetic furniture.
Worth every dime to have a well made, accurate rifle.

Attachments

• browning bar_stalker_m.jpg
    browning bar_stalker_m.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 137

BusGunner007

Subject:
BERETTA & BROWNING-- Beretta 1201FP & Browning BAR comparison.
This is a combination I could live with! I envisioned it at one time and it is now available from the factories. Amazingly compatible set in 12-ga. & .308.
Notice the similarity in contour and location of the safety buttons. This is a good candidate for "if I only had..."

Attachments

• beretta 1201fp  night sight ghost ring.jpg
    beretta 1201fp night sight ghost ring.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 99

BusGunner007

I hope this is the smaller picture of the BAR:
if you call up both images of the BAR and 1201, you can shrink the window for a side by side comparison of the two guns.
They both have similar contours and control locations, making them a great set.
Sorry to slam the thread with so many posts, but, I wanted to get the idea across for consideration.
Have fun shopping.

Attachments

• browning bar_stalker_m.jpg
    browning bar_stalker_m.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 81

Kaylee

I reckon I'll be the voice of dissent here.. if ya want the rifle to double as a defense gun, I'd suggest sticking with a "fighting" model -- M1A or VEPR. If it's mostly a toolin' around huntin' rifle, BAR's fine. Personally, I think the M1A bridges the gap between the two tasks the best of the three you mention, but that's likely a personal preference thing. (and you can get the Chinese M14s for around $600-$700 stock)

-K

Mannlicher

Pete,

The tasks you mention differ wildly in what is needed to accomplish them in the best manner. Compromise is always that. A battle rifle is not a good target gun, and a target gun is not usually suitable for hunting. The Cartridge you want is suitable for all three, but the rifle is not.

If you simply have to compromise, for what ever reason, then choose the rifle that will best do what ever of the three you feel will be the most common task. Secondly, pick the rifle that will handle the other two tasks best.

For me, that choice would be a Springfield M1A. Not a bad target rifle, pretty darn good for hunting, and if needed, the best of the choices for combat. The M1A is about a pound heavier, but it is a lot sturdier than the Browning.

I would not even consider a VEPR

Just my opinions of course

Peter Gun

Great input everyone. I think I've settled on the BAR, because it's most common use is prob going to be strapped to my backpack. I was really just trying to justify having an Evil Black Rifle. I think I'll get the BAR and then I'll find a nice cheap SKS or AK to have fun with. Screw the justification, I'm not married yet. Thanks!

maze51

Peter Gun:
I love my BAR 308. It is light weight and a reliable hunting rifle. I have hunted many elk and deer with it and it has yet to jam, and in freezing cold weather that can surely happen with a automatic. I carry 4 extra mags of ammo which is quick and easy to change on a BAR.