ban on .22 ammo

homefires

Yep! A mistake of the Cal government! What are people to shoot , Spit Wads?

Oh! that would be a bio hazard! Follow the link: She noted that the law would have provided an exemption for .22-caliber ammunition, which is typically used to shoot non-game animals such as ground squirrels and black crows. Alternatives to lead ammunition for .22-caliber rifles is not yet commercially available

CmpsdNoMore

So, do they have a map of specific areas where they're banned?

The regulations also go one step beyond the law by banning not just the use but also the possession of lead ammunition in the affected areas. That distinction, she noted, will make it easier for wardens to enforce the ban.

What if I bring my ammo box (with all kinds of mixed ammo) into an area by mistake, they're gonna fine me?

California politics is really starting to anger me.

Tom2

Well what was it they were doing in Switzerland? Letting them keep the guns in the homes but taking the ammo? Remember they can attack from all directions if they can find idiots to support their ideas in Gov't. How about this next-the discharge from your firearms creates greenhouse gasses, therefore some treaty will force you to use air guns only? Ha Ha. And only with steel BB's instead of lead pellets? HA HA... Laugh now.... Wonder how much a box of Bismuth .22 ammo will cost....

rem870hunter

just another example of someone or a group that thinks they know better. some scientists are good for something while some are good for nothing. if the non toxic stuff shot as good if not better and had a lower or equal price it would help. but its not either way. example: winchester game load, 25 round box of 12 ga. #7.5 lead 1 oz. load $5.50. winchester xpert, 25 round box of 12 ga. #7 steel 1 oz. load $8.00. the 2 were close in velocity. but the lead did better than the steel for clays. so unless they make a non toxic buckshot available in all sizes with equal velocity and pellet count. i'll keep using lead.

Tom2

Well you can't have HP ammo in NJ either, and I don't know if that includes 22 rimfire ammo. But I bet the best bet there is .45 hardball if you are stuck with non expanding. Can't see how shotshells translate to .22 rimfire but suppose that it is technically possible to make bismuth .22 ammo, probably not too accurate though. On the bright side, if you shoot the bad guy in the stomach, the bismuth shot will cure his upset stomach?

Doublestack

They will never stop until all shooting of any type is completely impossible in California, and there is not a single gun possessed by law abiding folks. If you think this is about buzzards, I have a bridge for sale that you might be interested in.

WG840

rem870hunter

you can't have hollow point ammo in nj. anywhere for that matter i think. remember the stink they made about andy reids sons. having a handgun with hollows in it. supposedly. the .22 lr. stinger has hollow points can buy and legally own in nj. some places want a signature and/ or they log the purchase into a book in the store. its like $8.00 for a 50 rd. box of stingers at dicks sports. as far as the shotshells having anything to do with the price or effect of .22 lr. it was merely an example of price and product difference here in nj at 2 local private shops. lead is still cheaper than steel. sabot prices have gone up almost $4.00 more a box since january 2007.

i guess the next time i see dicks has .22 thunderbolts on sale i'd better buy 10 bricks.

geezer in NH

CA, who cares, all the apologists for CA are out of their minds. CA folks have been being warned for years but they want the lifestyle so the keep giving up everything.

obxned

It's funny that lead bullets in dead carcasses are killing off the wonderful condors, but vultures seem to be doing just fine. Is that the aroma of cattle droppings I smell???

I suspect that if condors were renamed 'big, extra ugly buzzards', the environmental groups would find a different critter to worry about. The anti-s would still want .22 ammo banned, but they don't really give a darn about condors anyway.

The Tourist

Isn't Kalifornia the birthplace of the Bloods and the Crips--groups renown for throwing lead all over everything?

Does the ban cover them, or are they exempt because they don't use condors for bling?