Ballistics Report 9mm to .50 cal

tighty whitey

Really telling

I'm really stunned at how powerful the 7.62 round was as shown in this video. The barrell of water literally jumped.

InTheCountry

That would be fun. They should do the same thing in bigger increments now. Im surprised the 60gallon water jug didnt just blow away the .50cal. ( Even more then it already did.)

9-ball

Looks very much fun to do :D but it has no value whatsoever. People aren't a drum of water in which energy can be immediately transferred, that's why we have ballistics gel.

5.56 barely got teh barrel to jump. And they expect it to kill a 2 legged animal?

People don't die by jumping, except from cliffs and bridges maybe.

9-ball

People aren't water but we are about 75% water. It does show the potential energy that can be transferred.

Very true, but contrary to this jug of water, our water is located in very small cells which limit the transfer of energy.

spanishjames

Looks very much fun to do but it has no value whatsoever.

It proves that a larger round, going faster, does more damage than the opposite. Since this was "filmed for a medical conference on ballistics and the medical treatment of associated injuries", it helps physicians understand the extent of possible injury if they know what caliber the victim was shot with.

If anything it provides entertainment value.:D

jephthai

...that's why we have ballistics gel.

Isn't it the case that some ballisticians question the usefulness of ballistics gel too? From what I've read, it sounds like the issue is that the gel simulates the behavior of flesh, but doesn't have bones and blood vessels, etc.

I would expect, being the lay-person that I am, that the real value is in comparing the relative performance of different rounds (similar to how ballistics gel is used). We shouldn't say, "I bet a bad-guy will jump up in the air and evacuate his internal fluids just like that barrel!", but rather, "Gee, that .50 sure is more powerful than that .223..."

9-ball

Yes, I completely agree with you, ballistics gel just gives comparison of penetration. But I just can't see what this exactly does. I mean, every single one of you probably knew what the effect would be of every calibre tested. My expectations were met every time. I think it's very fun to watch and certainly to do, but it has little value. JMO

5.56 barely got teh barrel to jump. And they expect it to kill a 2 legged animal?

That is what, a 55 gallon barrel. So it weighs roughly 465 lbs (the barrel itself being 25 lbs). A 62 .223 traveling at 3000 fps gets you about 1240 or so, but this is all lateral energy. I would not expect it to be lifted at all, actually.

I am not sure where lifting that much water in a barrel equates with killing 2 legged animals.