Ballistics book

C7AR15

What is considered to be the best book on long range rifle shooting and ballistics.
There are a lot on Amazon, so picking one is tough. What do you guys like out there ?

emcon5

Anything by Bryan Litz. He is the ballistician for Berger Bullets. His video series is pretty good as well.

Jimro

I think we need more informationa bout what you are trying to do with external ballistic knowledge, are you looking for known distance competition shooting (High Power, Full Bore, F-Class, Palma, etc)? Or are you looking for uknown distance unknown target size shooting (tactical, long range hunting, etc).

I write this because there is a huge difference between understanding ballistics, and being able to put your bullet on target in various shooting disciplines.

Jimro

kraigwy

This list is long, several long winters setting by the fire reading long.

My most dog eared would be Hatcher's Notebook. And its companion piece, Machine Guns 1917. Don't let the title fool you, in those days long range shooting was the name of the game.

The best by far, (though a bit advanced) is James McCoy, Modern Exterior Ballistics. Brush up on your math for this one.

And of course I have most if not all of Brian Litz' books.

Don't neglect the older authors, Ingalls' ballistic tables Paperback – January 1, 1918, is a good one, or Ingall's other writings. Or Dr. Francis Mann, (th Mann devices are still used by the Army today.

At the turn of the 19-20th century extreme long range marksmanship was the name of the military shooting game. Don't neglect the old Marksmanship/Training manuals of the period.

This is just a short list, I have several more taking up a whole wall in my man cave. It just depends on how deep you want to get.