Ballistic tip nosler for Mule Deer

WE have a 25-06 that shoots really nice. I made up 50 rounds with 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips that chrony around 3300 fps and shoot tight groups. We use it for antelope hunting and it is a wonderful combination, that Ruger and the Ballistic Tip.

How do ya'll think that would work for mule deer? Where I hunt, there is the occasional big buck that gets nailed.

I appreciate your opinions and thanks!:)

Colorado Redneck

huntinaz

I think it should do the trick. I personally don't use balllistic tips in case I hit a shoulder, but actually I've heard a good number of stories now about ballistic tips having zero trouble punching thru one or even two shoulders. Apparently they are just devastating when you shoulder one, with massive meat damage. So, if I was shooting ballistic tips I would try and stay away from the shoulder and make extra sure I hit ribs/lungs or neck. Supposedly those BT's make a real mess out of a boiler room. If it shoots good and you like it for antelope, no reason not to nail a muley with it. Good luck!

Crankylove

We use it for antelope hunting and it is a wonderful combination

I use Ballistic Tips for antelope as well, although I am using a .270 with 140's.

Based on my experiences with them, I would have no problems using them on mule deer, or similar sized game. I shoot for the chest (I like the heart/double lung shot), so I have not had to try one through a shoulder........yet. I do know that the ones I have put through the chest cavity, make jello out of everything inside.......very effective.

The Terminator

I wish that I could give you an answer, but I have never hunted mulies. I will if I ever get the chance, and, I'll take my 25-06 LH Ruger. Now, I use 117's and 120's for deer, in it. I have not got around to getting dies for it, I do reload.

Would the heavier bullets work better? Do you need more penetration than a 100 grain bullet usually gives? Would you be better off, giving up some velocity, and picking up some bullet penetration, while lessening the chances of bullet fragmentation upon impact? Best -

Thanks!

I appreciate your comments!

Usually a .270 is the gun of choice, but the stock and action screws may be messing with the accuracy of that gun. So for back up, that 25-06 is lurking around in the back of my mind. It is sighted for the Noslers. It shoots the Hornady 117 gr Light Mag rounds just great, but it aint sighted for them. The range is a 1/2 day trip. Hate living in town....arghh:mad:

So thanks again! If I shoot a mulie with that gun, I'll report the results. If I miss, probably not. :D

mikejonestkd

I switched over to NTBs a few years ago in several calibers ( .243, .260, 7mm-08, .308) and they perform very well with broadside shots through the ribs. I have yet to recover a bullet and the turn their lungs to goo....

Two thumbs up for NBTs/ Remington accutips/ CT winchester ballistic silvertips...

Last edited:

Dannyl

I practice with B tips and hunt with accubond

Hi,
For years I hunted with Hornady interlocks and SST's.
Last season, in our first hunt I noticed that they were not performing as good as they used to. (Interlocks - core jacket separation and noticable less penetration, SST - even on soft game like Springbok on a frontal chest shot the bullet grenaded in the chest despite a low m/v of 2500 fps and not hitting bone) I dislike throwing meat away and don't like to take chances of wounding and losing bigger antelopes, so this was my last hunt with Hornady's.

I then switched to Noslers. the accubond and Ballistic Tip of same weight and caliber have exactly the same BC and sectional density, so you could practice with the cheaper Ballistic Tips (Here I buy them in bulk, surely you can do that in the US) and use the accubonds for hunting for obvious reasons.

BTW, both group .75 MOA at 2650 FPS from my 30-06 Remington.

Brgds,

Danny

nathaniel

I use ballistic tips in my .223 when I hunt for mule deer in western ND Ive gotten 2 deer with them and have no complaints both were through and through, the exit wounds were MASSIVE! Bigger than a 30-06 with soft points.

sc928porsche

I use 100 gr Sierra Matchkings for antelope and coyote with the 25-06. Massive damage and the always penetrate through the body, even when hitting bone. If you are going for meat, make sure its a boiler room shot. If you hit a sholder, you can forget about saving any meat. The 25-06 is also a good cartridge for deer.

mikejonestkd

I use ballistic tips in my .223 when I hunt for mule deer in western ND Ive gotten 2 deer with them and have no complaints both were through and through, the exit wounds were MASSIVE

The factory NBT loads in 223 are varmint rounds and are not designed for adequate penetration in larger animals. I've had them stay inside coyotes and raccoons, and am wondering how you are getting complete penetration on Mule deer with 223 NBTs....where on their body are you hitting them?

nathaniel

The factory NBT loads in 223 are varmint rounds and are not designed for adequate penetration in larger animals. I've had them stay inside coyotes and raccoons, and am wondering how you are getting complete penetration on Mule deer with 223 NBTs....where on their body are you hitting them?

Right behind the shoulder, trust me it supprised me too. My brothers have used NBT's on deer too and if its not a complete pass through we always find the bullet/fragments inbedded on the other side of the rib cage. None of the deer we shoot with our 223 go further than 50 yards.

Thanks again!

A lot of great comments. I am escaping for a few hours tomorrow to sneak out to the range, so the 270 can get a good test. If it isn't consistent, the 25-06 will be out with me hunting in a few days. And there will be a report, if I get lucky. ;)

This forum is so great!

hooligan1

My cousin swears by his 25-06 for yotes and big north Missouri bucks, I'm thinking he uses 100 or 120's, I'm not sure. but he always gives me and my brother the business for using .270's and me with my 30-06 at the time. But the answer is yes a well-placed Ballistic tip will do the job on Muley's.:) good luck and happy shootin!!