bake and spray finish?

zot

I have Brownwells catalog, but is there a parkerizing finish thats air brushed on after 350F degree bake of firearm? and I
wonder if it comes in black brown and gray?
this may have been posted before

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
Zot, I think you're talking about Amer-lene. I've used it about 5 times and while the guns all came out looking good the shading of gray was different every time. That's the only color it comes in. And you don't bake it, you use a heated tank to suspend the parts in solution. George

Dakotan

Actually, Brownell's now offers parkerized and stainless gray colors in their Baking Lacquer, and grey and stainless gray colors in their Teflon /Moly (molybdenum disulfide)oven cure finish. Check page #178 of catalog #52. I've used both finishes and had excellent results (and happy customers), but I have only applied the matte black colors. They are both extremely durable finishes with excellent lubricity. If their newly pigmented baked finishes retain the properties of the original products, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. One caveat; DEGREASE the parts you're finishing like a madman! That is the single most important step in baked finishes. Good Luck & Take Care- Dakotan

Kernel

Hi Zot,

Brownells aerosol baking lacquer comes in matte black, gloss black, matte clear, OD green, earth brown, park. gray, & stainless gray. They also sell in bulk for airbrush in matte black & clear (not matte). I just did a scope last night in matte clear. The Thompson/Center 3-9x32 lighted retical scope was glossy black, not what I wanted on a hunting rifle. Baked it in the oven at 170F for one hour, was afraid to go higher on the temp - can said 300F for 40 minutes. Don't know how it'll hold up but it looks good now. Have used both the matte black & park. gray on military rifles & mags (it might even work on AKs :) ). You can scratch it if you try hard enough, but it stands up to oil and solvents unlike normal paint. Good stuff. Check out Brownells web site http://www.brownells.com . -- Kernel

Dan Johnson

zot;
Brownell's has a new color in the Teflon/Moly Finish, Dark Gray Parkerizing. Unless you have the tanks needed for parkerizing, this may be the way to go. If you need more information on this finish, I'd be happy to e-mail you a copy of an article I wrote for 'Handguns' on the product.

Good luck;
Dan Johnson

zot

I have a AKS that is Egyptian, it has flat
black paint that has bubbles that popped and paint flakes off,I was wanting to put a bake finish that comes close to the Russian brown
finish, I figure taking all wood off of course and bead blasting the rest of the paint off, degrease with some Beownwells stuff,what product would be tough and close to brown?

zot

I have a AKS that is Egyptian, it has flat
black paint that has bubbles that popped and paint flakes off,I was wanting to put a bake finish that comes close to the Russian brown
finish, I figure taking all wood off of course and bead blasting the rest of the paint off, degrease with some Beownwells stuff,what product would be tough and close to brown?thanks for all replies

Kernel

Zot, I had a feeling this was going to be for an AK. Brownells ain't gonna have that dark ebony brown like you want (I've got an old Remington pump .22 that's that same color). If it were me I'd use the park. gray, then once it's cured good I'd load it up with some heavy red/brown grease. That may sound weird, but I've seen it work. The grease gets down in the pores of the finish, just like real Parkerizing. The surface takes on the hue of the grease.

I wouldn't use the Teflon/moly stuff. It might make sense for the inside cover, or any painted friction/wear parts. I just don't see were the Teflon/moly properties offer any benefit to an exterior finish. -- Kernel