Baikal Markarov .380 Things to watch for

BillCA

My local dealer has a nice clean Baikal Markarov .380 with 4 spare mags for $250. Seems like a decent deal to me, but I don't know how to value this gun. It's a used/consignment gun that I'd like to use as a go everywhere kind of pistol.

Are there any special things I should be aware of on these guns before buying?

Teakwood

The one major thing you should look for is a better price.
A Russian commercial Makarov NIB with 2 mags. all the accessories and papers is not worth more that about $200. The Russian commercial Makarovs are considered to be pretty close to the bottom of the barrel in quality of finish. As to the 2 extra magazines, they might go for $10 apiece in excellent condition.

briang2ad

Hold on...

I would try to talk him down. BUT, I've been to a few shows lately, and no Russian has been below $200. Bulgies in LN condition are $150-160, but the Russians are higher because they are NOT being imported and haven't for years. Also, 380s command a higher price. I bought a Russian commercial for $175 about a year and a half ago, with one mag. Same pistol in 380 back home at a VERY reasonable dealer was $225. Check out Mak.com forum - good sight. You may get more current information. It would be nice to go cheaper though...

denfoote

I have a Baikal IJ-70-17A that I bought years ago for $89.
I still have it!!
It has been pretty much 100% for the entire time!!
It does not like Rem. Golden Sabers, though!! That accounts for most of the problems I have had with it over the years!!
It has also been said that the adjustable sights that the Russians put on to get enough import points are somewhat inadequate. Mine, however have been tight and locked onto a zero since about two seconds after I tightened up the screw!!

The price seems a bit high. But, considering the gun has not been imported for a rather long time, thanks to Don Klintoon, it may be fair!!

Catbird

You may have a very good reason for wanting a Russian Makarov in .380 ACP. If so, that's fine. I would rather have a Bulgarian Mak chambered in 9x18 in unissued, excellent condition for less than $150. [In fact, I have two of them.] :)

Duxman

I have a Baikal Mak 380 which I bought at a gun show for $250. It is in very good condition. Feeds on every type of ammo I gave it, works like a champ. My biggest reget is not buying it in 9mm Mak.

Other than that, it is an excellent weapon, and I agree with some of the postings here, I found some in a good show in rather questionable condition for under $200, but not much more. $189, $175.

I would definately pay $250 for it.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Wow!

I'm amazed--last time I checked, the Russian .380s were going for the same price as the other Maks and generally had a worse finish.

I talked a friend of mine into buying one a few years back. I should let him know it's now worth nearly double what he paid for it new...

BillCA

This particular Mak looked to be a commercial model. The finish was pretty good - no rough machine marks on the slide or frame, slide sides were polished and blued nicely (though perhaps a bit thin). The slide was marked with non-engraved lettering but I was rushed at lunch time and didn't make a note of the model. :eek: There are some adjustable sights on the rear, though the front sight is almost a joke.

The extras included are at least 3 spare mags (plus 2 for the gun) and a leather euro flap style holster that'd probably never get used (although it's in excellent condition). I thought it might a tad high priced, but for $250 in California for a reliable .380?

I'm just wondering if there are any typical checkpoints to look for in these guns before buying.

Duxman

Regional gun pricing is very tricky. Luckily we have many gun shows here in VA. Almost weekly.

Try gunbroker.com for some test pricing.

dr.magnum

It's a reliable gun. With the extras, and Calif. prices, I'd say it's not a bad deal. In fact, I'd bet that it won't last too long at the shop.

David4516

I'm just wondering if there are any typical checkpoints to look for in these guns before buying.

None that I am aware of. Been very happy with my bulgie Makarov. The Makarov is a very solid gun, it's like the AK of the pistol world.

Once you go Mak you don't go back, LOL...

lee n. field

Remove the slide and check the condition. I've seen some that have been kind of battered, with dings and dents on the underside. How they got there, on guns that look like they haven't seen much if any use, I don't know.

Seat the magazine as hard as you usually do and see if the slide releases spontaneously or stays locked back.

Check how the trigger feels. That can vary from gun to gun.

jimmy

FWIW, I bought a used Baikal Mak with a very weak recoil spring--weak enough to be easily noticeable. Never saw another Mak with this light a spring. Anyway, I put in a new spring.

But the real thing to watch for is becoming addicted to Maks. ;)