Baikal combination guns

pathdoc

Knowing exactly where to put this post is, of course, a fifty-fifty conundrum, but the question relates to the rifle barrel, so I might as well put it here.

I was considering one of these (12G and 6.5x55), but the only thing which puts me off is that the rifle barrel is beneath instead of atop, and the sight is fixed in elevation. Now of course I can compensate for the latter by mounting a scope, but has anyone else owned and shot one of these and can give the benefit of experience? Does it actually matter that the rifle barrel is so far below the sight-line? I think I prefer this to the Savage combo guns I've seen because of the double triggers - no time is wasted recocking and changing the selector over to the other barrel if one so desires.

The intended targets would be moose (do-able in this calibre, I'm told, with a 160gn bullet) and anything the 12G is suitable for (including, possibly, single trap). I already own two scopes from previous firearms - a 6-24 and a 2 - 7 variable, the latter with mildot reticles or something approximating, and it'd be the 2-7X that went on the gun for the Antlered Ones.

Great idea, or shocking mistake in the making?

jackpine

heavy gun with so so sights and you could probably do better work with two single shot weapons. Combo gun are interesting but in modern controled hunting seasons offer little utility.

chuckrusty

If you are referring to the Baikal M94, yes I have owned several,
the elevation is adjustable you just have to screw the front sight in or out to adjust elevation, they work very well, for what they are anyway.
the most annoying thing is removing live or spent 6.5x55 casings from the bottom barrel, it's a bit of a tight fit.
also there is an adjustment nut between the barrels to regulate the two barrels to the same point of impact.

Husqvarna

I often hunt with a combi, the rifle barren should be underneath because it is a shotgun with the possibilty of a longer shot,

I have a 1-4power scope so it is even doable as a Clay Gun.

Baikals are great, if the Gun misfires you could club the deer to death with it:p

Serves as a paddle to

Husqvarna

Iff you happen to stumble over a Finn (a brand related to Sako) get it, you could later buy extra barrelsets, shot/shot and peehaps abigger Calibre doublerifle