BAD Mepro... BAD BAD MEPRO!!

Onslaught

Okay, first let me start off by saying that my wife thinks I'm a gun FANATIC... one of those many reasons is that I clean my guns after every outing, and occasionally inbetween if it's been a while. I enjoy the act of cleaning and maintaining my weapons.

I got the "jones" to just take a look at my wife's MK9 yesterday, so I went and got it from where she keeps it, unzipped the padded nylon case it rests in, and :eek:!!! The ENTIRE front site was ORANGE with rust! I mean COMPLETELY covered in it! The rear site had none, the rest of the gun had none, but that front site... YIKES!

I of course sat right down, whipped out the CLP and a nylon brush, and spent SEVERAL minutes scrubbing the front site clean. The black finish was still intact under the rust....

I have Meprolite nite sites on my HK, and that's whats on her MK9, front and back. WHAT the HECK is going on with that front site???

I'm also concerned that, since Kimber has taken over the distribution, if it will be something that they would address under the warranty.

38Mike

Onslaught,

Maybe the problem is with the carbon steel the sights are made of? I wore my SP-101 in my waist while I mowed the yard and when I removed the gun the front sight was a nice rust orange..not Mepros,just factory front sight.....

Mike M.

Onslaught

Okay, but why not the rear site? She doesn't carry "on-body" :( so I don't think it's sweat-related. Mine have never shown a spot of rust, and I DO carry on-body.

Thanks for the help though Mike!

38Mike

Was just thinkin' they might've had a bad lot of steel.......I work with crappy material all day..

Mike M.

hksigwalther

Change gun case.

Had the same problem with an 1187. I had placed it in a synthetic, padded, nylon lined gun case in an a matter of a month or two had rust on the receiver. All of my other guns placed in synthetic cases have never rusted. The difference being the nylon lining, it keeps any moisture from the outside out and keeps any moisture in the inside in. If you go with a synthetic case, go with a cloth lining or open cell foam with no lining.