Bad Day at the range

SavageSniper

My weekend at the range started off good. First target I shot had a 5 shot group about 1inch- good to start. Next target my nephew shot first 2 rounds right in the center about 2mm apart, the next about 5 inches high and right. Thought it was a flier, but then we fired another ~40 rounds with about a 5 inch pattern with the group being high and right. Checked the scope mounts and they were tight. Do not believe it is the rounds since they are the same lot that I shot two weeks ago with no problems. I think it is the scope itself, and it is a cheaper Simmons 4-12x40. I have never had a scope fail like that before. By the way, there was 3 of us and we all had the same results.What do you think?

RedneckFur

I've got a .22mag that does similar things at times. Some days its a 1 inch or less grouper.. and other days it likes a 2 or 3 inch group. I seem to do better when i run an ocasional dry patch down the barrel during shooting, and let the barrel cool after every 3 shots. I'd try that before i trashed an expensive scope.

joshua

It is hard to believe a scope, even a Simmons will fail on a low recoiling round and rifle. The 12fv is heavy. How often did you mess with the adjustments on that scope? I've had a fix power scope fail on me and it was on a hard recoiling TC Contender 45/70 barrel. First the grouping started to open up and then it just got blurry. I've never seen a 223's accuracy deteriorate just like that, unless there is a screw loose with the scope mounts or action screws. I'd say get another scope, maybe borrow one from a friend just to see if it is the culprit and go from there. josh

SavageSniper

The only thing that I did was clean the rifle since last outing. I also tried to adjust the "paralax"(please forgive the spelling or miss termanoligy) the adjustment for yardage that is normally set to infinity. I did this because it was hot and at 12power it wasn't too clear. It might be just me being paranoid but it appears that the crosshairs is slightly rotated to the right. The scop has not moved. I know this because I always mark my scopes in relation to the rings. Just a habit that I picked up on along time ago. The only other thing that I can think of is that something came lose in the action. Does anyone know the torque specs?

FirstFreedom

I would not be at all surprised if it is a broken scope, *esp.* if that is indeed a Blazer series Simmons. Simmons puts out a lot of crap (or at least has in the past). Could also be crappy or untightened rings.

I've had a lot of "bad range days" too, with terribly frustrating gun problems (seems like more than my proportional share), so I feel ya, man....

Bad Day at the range

Still beats a good day at work! :D