Bad chambers

Gunplummer

What is it with all the bad chambers lately? The minute a case won't extract or the rifle does not shoot well, the chamber is bad. Cosmoline in the chamber and it won't extract? Clean it with gasoline,it is not JB Weld, it is hard grease. Everybody makes a bad call on something now and then, and it is usually something simple and obvious, but this bad chamber thing is starting to be every answer. The only time I ever really ran into a lot of bad chambers was with light and heavy machine guns, and then 3"-6" of rifling was gone with it. Civilian models it was usually mismatched bolts. I am curious and would like to know how many guys out there come across oversize, over length, or just plain worn out chambers in sporting arms?

stubbicatt

It isn't a sporting arm, but my 1934 Izzy Mosin Nagant has a very obviously long chamber. Since headspace is dictated by the rim in this example, it is not a functionality issue. Rifle shoots great, is reliable, etc. If this cartridge headspaced on the shoulder, the results would be quite humorous, as it would not fire, I'm certain!

So. Long chamber, yes. Sporting arm, no. Bad chamber? No. Rifle is quite accurate for what it is.

tirod

I haven't seen the specific examples of bad chambers, but I think there are some decent reasons for the trend. Start with those owners who shoot corrosive ammo, add in those blasting crates of steel cased plinking rounds, double the amount of those shooting lacquer or polymer coated, and then salt to taste with those who think piston guns don't get dirty chambers to begin with.

Oh, yes they do. Piston guns get dirty chambers. All blow back and roller locked guns do, and all semi auto's regardless get dirty chambers too.

Shoot enough steel cased polymer coated cheap ball powder loaded plinking rounds in a semi auto, you have a chamber problem. Not necessarily in the rifle, just maybe in the lack of understanding it needs to be cleaned.

Durability isn't reliability, and all semi autos get dirty chambers.

sc928porsche

The MN is notorious for having rough chambers but not bad chambers. That is why they are difficult to clean and get gummed up with laquer from the steel casings. A little polishing of the chamber sure helps the situation. I really havnt run across very many rough chambers in other rifles.

Slamfire

The minute a case won't extract or the rifle does not shoot well, the chamber is bad.

Throat erosion and muzzle erosion certainly effects accuracy. But it takes 4000-5000 rounds for a 308. Around 1200-1500 rounds in a 6.5mm. I heard 800 rounds in a 243.

With reloads, most extraction problems are due to over pressure rounds, neck sized rounds, insufficiently sized cases.

I had one experience with a "bad chamber". I had a Douglas 1:10 installed on a pre 64 and in 30-06. It tested well, shot well with 168's. It did not do well with any bullet heavier than a 168.

I sent the thing off to another gunsmith who rechambered it to 308 and used a "floating reamer".

The rechambered Douglas barrel shot every bullet weight well, and I just recently removed the barrel because it was shot out.

Gun drilling does not necessarily produce a straight hole. The drill moves up and down, left and right. The hole may be in the center of the ends of the barrel blank, but can be anywhere inbetween.

If a straight reamer is stuck in a curved barrel hole, the chamber will not be round. The gunsmith who used the floating reamer claimed that reduced out of roundness.

Military barrels, hunting rifle barrels, these are cheap barrels. Military barrels are given to lads who have spend more time marching up and down the square than they have shooting. Our Iwo Jima Vet had exactly 20 rounds before he was shipped out into a combat zone, my Uncle, in the 101 Airborne, had exactly 7 rounds of familiarization before being dropped in Normandy.

There is absolutely no need for cannon fodder to be issued expensive target grade rifles. All that matters is that sufficient quantities of reliable rifles are issued to these doomed lads so they will have a weapon in their hands before they, and the weapon, are blown all to hell. I understand 90 days was about average in WWII.

In war, lives are cheap, and the barrels even cheaper.

Last edited:

noyes

Mic those 3rd world ammo cases & overall lenght . You may find some or many to be out of specs.

Gunplummer

Hole drilling

You are right about the gun drilling. If you have a good eye, it is possible to see the curve in a lot of gun barrels. I never saw a difference if it was a slight curve in the center. A sharp bend or a curve near the muzzle end will usually give you trouble, so he may be right about the reamer, I don't know. It takes a heck of a lot to wear a chamber out of spec., if you include the field gauge. One that sticks in my mind is a .50 barrel I used a barrel erosian gauge on. It is a tapered pin with rings progressively cut into it and you stick it in the breech end. I dropped it in and it fell all the way through and stuck out the muzzle about an inch. That was with a knurl on the back of it! The crew claimed they had no problems with case separation, go figure. That was the worst I ever saw, but it was an old barrel with out the stellite partial liner. That is one thing about guns, just when you think you have seen everything,......