Bad .308 match ammo?

Picher

I was given a couple of boxes of .308 match ammo and happened to pull a bullet to try firing only the primer in a Win 100 to check firing pin function.

When I went to dump the powder out, it was all stuck together and I had to dig it out. The boxes and cases don't look like they were stored in a damp condition, but I still think the ammo may have been stored improperly.

What do you think happened to the powder? Should I pull all the bullets and throw the powder out, or is the powder a special kind that may still be fine to shoot?

Picher

wjkuleck

Manufacturer? Brand? Lot number?

As a rule, if the powder doesn't run out freely, it's decomposed & should be discarded.

Regards,

Walt

wogpotter

Was the powder stick, or ball in appearance?
Compressed powder loads will sometimes get "sticky" because of the compression.
If it's actually bonded together then there is a problem, but if its both stick powder & just wedged together it may be fine.

Compressed ball powder is a no-no.

Picher

The ammo is commercial Federal Gold Medal, 168 grain Boat-Tail Hollow Point Match. It's stick powder but isn't just compressed. I had to dig every bit of it out with a sharp instrument.

The ammo was given to me by a friend who sold his .308 Win and I don't have one. I was going to give it to a friend, but he passed away recently.

I think it's toast, so I'll pull the bullets and save the brass.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Picher