backyard report: 1991a1, mk9, p97. single six

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Caveats:
I'm a newbie hangunner. In the last few months I've put about 900 rounds through various handguns. I am not an great shot. 8 inch groups (6-8 shots per group), off hand, one and two handed, at 40 feet are the current norm.

1991a1:

200 rounds mostly 230 gr fmj, approx. 20 230gr hydroshoks and 6-7 185 gr gold dots and a hndful of 185 gr SWC's mixed in. No failures of any kind. Fits my hand excellently, points well. Suits me.

MK9:

200 rounds mostly 115gr FMJ, approx 20 Federal 115 gr HP's mixed in and a few NATO 124gr fmj. No failures of any kind. Shoots well. Really nice trigger. I shoot it a little low at 40 feet, but not at 25 feet. I occasionally seem to have one flyer from a magazine. Ayoob mentioned this in one of his reviews of a Kahr. I don't know what his problem was, but I think mine may be on the first shot. I tend to slightly flinch on the first shot, but not at all on the rest. I think I start anticipating the trigger (?).

Ruger P97:

I've posted before that I could not shoot this gun very well. I never blamed the gun, more my inexperience and possibly the way it fit my hand. After running 400 rounds through the MK9 and Colt I am now shooting the P97 much better, although still not as well as the Colt. I think experienced shooters can probably shoot this gun well out of the box, but for a beginner like me, I found the Colt much more natural. Currently
at 175 rounds, same mix as the Colt. One failure to feed on a SWC in the 2nd or 3rd magazine. No other failures of any kind.

Ruger Single Six:

I bought this after I discovered what a lousy shot I was and that I couldn't find the sights with both eyes open. I used this and a Crossman pellet gun to work on the 2 eye open problem. I placed a piece of cellophane over the left lens of my glasses and ran around 200 rounds though the Single Six and about 500 pellets through the crossman (in my basement). I still need a lot of practice, but now I'm shooting with both eyes open and finding the sights much easier and faster. The Single Six is a lot of fun to shoot. I strongly recommend newbies buy a .22 of some kind. The Single Six is unlike my autos, but it really helps with cheap practice and learning the basics. Did I mention its a lot of fun :)

FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.