Backpacking/canoing/etc. .22lr auto

Dobe

I am seeking advice on a lightweight small .22 auto for backpacking, canoing, and generally walking through the woods when not wishing to carry something heavier. I am looking for something like the Beretta 87 Cheetah.

My questions are:
1. How reliable is this handgun, and how expensive are the magizines?
2. Is the Cheetah accurate enough to take small game at reasonable ranges?
3. Are adjustable sights availabe in the aftermarket?
4. Is there another make and model I should consider?

I have a S&W 63. It is a fine revolver, but I am looking for a small but accurate auto. I also own a Ruger MKII. It is a fine auto, but as stated above, I am looking for something smaller.

Thanks,
Dobe

GMorel1916

I use my Sig Mosquito for canoeing, backpacking, etc. Once you get the ammo/spring combo right its a great little pistol.

Greg

Pilot

.380 style .22's like the Beretta 87 Cheetah and Bersa Thunder while fun plinkers are not accurate .22's for getting game. To fill the backpacking/canoeing/camping role for a .22, I pack a Ruger 22/45 with the 4inch barrel. The polymer frame lightens it enough and its an accurate .22.

Te Anau

If you can find one,consider a FEG SMC-22.Its a great little .22lr
Another option might be by Firestorm.
http://www.firestorm-sgs.com/

" Firestorm .22LR
2003 Buyers Guide
All-Purpose Autopistols
By: J.B. Wood
For around twenty years, the Bersa firm in Argentina has been making high quality pistols that sell for very reasonable prices. Since 1988, SGS Imports of New Jersey has been the U.S. master distributor. In more recent years, the pistols have acquired a new name, “FireStorm.” The medium-frame version is available in .380 Auto and .22 LR.

The .22 that I tried out has a matte black finish and the raised sight rib on top has fine cross checkering. The square post and notch sights have three white dots, the one on the front slightly larger. The raised sight is horizontally screw adjustable. The trigger is smooth surfaced, and the double and single-action pulls are excellent. There is an external slide latch, and just below it is the push-button magazine release. And internal safety discounts the trigger bar when the magazine is taken out. The magazine holds ten rounds.

The manual safety on the slide locks the firing pin and shields it from the hammer. In the last fraction of its arc, it trips the sear to drop the hammer. On all systems of this type, I prefer to let the hammer down gently when using the safety. The FireStorm .22 gets high points for ergonomics. The rubber grip has moderate thumb and trigger finger rests, and where it goes around the front strap there are finger projections. These mate with the magazine extension to form perfect recesses for all three fingers of an average hand.

The resulting hold is absolutely superb. This, along with the nice trigger and good sights, contributed to some fine groups at the range, well centered in the black. The smallest was 2.25 inches, and all were less than three inches. None of the loads gave any problems. As usual, Bersa has made an excellent pistol."

DonR101395

Take a look at the Ruger MKIII, a used MKII or a Browning Buckmark camper. All are realiable, accurate. They run about $299 and up depending on the model i.e. blued vs stainless, standard barrel vs bull barrel. I have a MKII 5 1/2" bull barrel, but the Buckmark camper looks promising at $299 in Bass Pro.

Disregard, I'm an idiot and just noticed you have a MKII.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
If you're like me, you measure individual ounces, not pounds, when you're backpacking. Ten or more miles over rough country and you'll be cussin' every ounce of a Ruger :D .

I've no personal experience with the Beretta, but those I've talked with that do, rate it very highly.

malachi

My Ruger 22-45 is pretty light-weight and will cycle everything in (long rifle), including sub-sonic ammo.

Dobe

If you're like me, you measure individual ounces, not pounds, when you're backpacking. Ten or more miles over rough country and you'll be cussin' every ounce of a Ruger .

I've no personal experience with the Beretta, but those I've talked with that do, rate it very highly.

I can tell you are a backpacker too. Ounces...you're right. That is why I'm not carrying the Ruger.

Thanks all for the info. Please continue with the advise.

Dobe

Paladin7

I know you are looking for an auto, but given the issue with ounces, have you considered an NAA Mini Revolver in 22 mag/22 LR?

These guns are very light, very reasonably priced, very reliable, and can be more accurate than most people imagine. Plus the 22 mag does hit with authority when compared to a 22 LR. You also have plenty of options with 22 ammo, from 22 shorts, 22 LR, 22 shotshells for snake to 22 mag with bullet configuration and feeding a non issue.

Food for thought...

Stiofan

I backpack with the Beretta 21A Bobcat. It's the right size and weight, but of course it's not going to be accurate for hunting or something like that. It's a compromise between a lot of weight and not carrying at all. Being 12 miles or so into the back country, you never know the type of crazy you might come across, and that's the only reason I carry it.

Pilot

I can tell you are a backpacker too. Ounces...you're right. That is why I'm not carrying the Ruger.

Have you picked up a polymer framed, short barrelled 22/45? Much lighter than the MK II.

I backpack and in some very hostile terrain in the Rockies. I scimp on weight in just about everything, but not my gun. In fact I usually carry a .357, not a .22. For a .22 that you can actually hit something with, your not going to find one much lighter than the little 22/45.

Loose a few pounds off your *ss instead. :)

Dobe

Pilot
The polymer framed Ruger is really more weight than I want to carry for long distances. I have seen long distance backpackers remove labels from their clothing in order to reduce weight.
And as for the weight on my butt. Well there isn't much more I can remove from there either.

Stiofan
That Beretta 21 Bearcat sounds like just the ticket, but I am looking to be able to take an occasional small animal within about ten yards or less. I hike in the south La. woods. Sometimes, it is not too difficult to slip up on the creatures when quiet.

Paladin7
Too small for the purpose I have in mind. The revolver you mentioned could not be counted on to bag a few small game.

I have started this quest with the idea that a compact lightweight .22 alum frame auto would be the ticket for backcountry hiking and bushwacking. I am not
concerned about bears. Alligators and snakes are the boogy monsters in Louisiana. On those long distance hikes, a light weight .22 auto might just be the
item I need.

Dobe

Dondor

Try to find a Sig / Hammerli 4.5" Trailside.

Fun gun that is accurate too boot. I am unsure of the weight comparison to the rest of the aforementioned guns, but it might be something to look at.

Sig has dropped them from their current line, but there are still many out there to be had at gun shops.

Pilot

The polymer framed Ruger is really more weight than I want to carry for long distances. I have seen long distance backpackers remove labels from their clothing in order to reduce weight.
And as for the weight on my butt. Well there isn't much more I can remove from there either.

And I've seen backpackers pack out their own poop to reduce the "impact" on the environment. Ridiculous. I like the Ruger Bearcat ideas.

Dobe

And I've seen backpackers pack out their own poop to reduce the "impact" on the environment. Ridiculous

Pilot, I plant it, I don't handle it twice.

I just purchased the Cheetah .22. I got a great deal on LNIB. I await its arrival next week.

Thanks all for the help.

Dobe

FirstFreedom

Take only pictures...and game. Leave only footprints....and poop.

There is a Browning Buckmark variant to nicely fill almost any .22 semi-auto role there is. However, if backpacking long distance, maybe a mostly-plastic Walther P22 would be better.

Dobe

I almost bought a P22, but the reports I heard and read about it made me decide that this is not what I want.

The Cheetah will do for now. I should have it by Friday.

Dobe

gfen

Where and how much, Dobe? Its the only automatic I've found that my wife finds appealing. :)

Is this model also a tip up barrel?