Background checks slow???

Rothdel

Purchased a long gun here in WI on Monday and still in review status. Never once have I ever waited more than an hour or so. I get that it was bound to happen but a little concerned. Anyone experiencing longer delays than normal? If so is this a function of the number of people buying or something more problematic of the system?

themalicious0ne

I think it is a mixture of several things. I actually just picked up a lower also in Wisconsin and had no issues. My friend picked up 2 guns last week fine.

There was an email floating around on here that was describing how NICS was going to go to mandatory checks that may take time. Not sure if that was the case or they redacted it after implementation.

In addition, October hit once again record numbers for NICS checks. Sorry, hope that helps.

The dealer also told me when I picked mine up that the day before was extremely slow for response of checks.

Rothdel

Very Odd situation..... Still sitting in review status on a gun I purchased Monday afternoon. Never been delayed for more than a couple of hours before. Starting to make me nervous although I have no reason to be.

jasmith85

I recently bought a rifle at Walmart and it took around 7 days for the pending to come back approved. It was the first time I wasn't approved instantly. That's not to say the system has something wrong with it though. We may just both be unlucky.

jdscholer

I'm a suspicious bastard, and I suspect that one of the new gun control methods is going to be a background check system that "just doesn't work very well". jd

V-fib

I purchased two firearms last month one a rifle and the other a pistol. filled in the atf form on the stores computer and was instantly approved. In the past when it was called in it has never taken more than 5 minutes to get approval.

v-fib

Gunplummer

It may be related to the cyber attack last month. I noticed some weirdness going to certain websites since then. Others have said the same.

peggysue

Got to love my state. With a Concealed Carry license the FFL does not have to call it in to ATF. I just fill out a 4473 and he puts info it in his bound book.

shootbrownelk

Same here in Wyoming PeggySue. Present your concealed weapon permit and background check isn't needed. In and out in 10 minutes or less. Residents in Wyoming don't need a permit to carry concealed, but having one makes buying guns quick and easy.

jasmith85

Same here in Wyoming PeggySue. Present your concealed weapon permit and background check isn't needed. In and out in 10 minutes or less. Residents in Wyoming don't need a permit to carry concealed, but having one makes buying guns quick and easy.

You make me want to move to Wyoming. I have always thought of Tennessee as being very gun friendly but we still have to wait through a background check every time.

laytonj1

I have always thought of Tennessee as being very gun friendly but we still have to wait through a background check every time.
Alabama recently went to no NICS check with CC Permit.

Jim

Rothdel

Figured out the deal here. The place I purchased from was online for the background form and had updated their software which was not working properly. It appears I was approved with in about 2 hours but their system did not receive the notification. it was not till several days later an intrepid CS person called to see what the hold up was they found out I had received a proceed.

Local gun shop is saying things are slower than normal but not by days like I was concerned about.

peggysue

Purchasing firearms from an on line source still needs to be delivered to you FFL who fills out the ATF form in your state when you pick the firearm up.?

Kvon2

I went to a gun show this weekend and I'm in Maryland... believe it or not it was one of the quicker transactions I have ever made. The time from negotiation to walking out with my new rifle was maybe 20 mins

Departed402

I can't speak to the volume of background checks, but I did my part to keep the numbers up by purchasing a gun on Wednesday.

texgunner

Yesterday I was with my Dad when he was trying to buy a revolver and NICS went down. We were in Collectors Firearms.