Background checks...do they cost something for the LGS?

USNRet93

Tried google-foo but couldn't find an answer..LGS' around here(Denver area), all charge something to do the BGC..done thru CBI(Colorado Bureau of Investigation)..and I've seen anywhere from $12 to $25+...so..when a LGS runs a BGC, does it cost them something or is it just $ supplement for really crappy gun margins?

zukiphile

It costs a clerk's time and of course the cost of the license renewal. When buying from a shop I've never had them charge for any part of the transfer process, but when they aren't the seller, the fees can be pretty stiff.

FITASC

TANSTAAFL

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Is their electric bill free? Their ad in the phone book? Credit card transaction fees? There are always costs. Here in Florida, the check is run through the state and they do charge the dealer $5 for the phone call. A dealer is providing you a service, it isn't free or non-profit.

Last edited:

rickyrick

I would guess the need electricity, phone, employee time and an internet connected computer at a minimum... most of which aren’t really necessary just to sell a gun without any checks.

Theohazard

There is no charge for an FFL to have access to the federal NICS system. So in states where the FFL contacts NICS directly, there is no cost to run a background check (obviously other than the overhead costs like the computers/phones, the employees’ time, etc.). However, in states where the FFL contacts a state-level NICS point-of-contact for the background check, there is sometimes a state-level fee. For example, here in PA the FFL contacts the PA state police’s PICS system, and they do a state records check along with a NICS check. The cost of that PICS background check is $5.

USNRet93

There is no charge for an FFL to have access to the federal NICS system. So in states where the FFL contacts NICS directly, there is no cost to run a background check (obviously other than the overhead costs like the computers/phones, the employees’ time, etc.). However, in states where the FFL contacts a state-level NICS point-of-contact for the background check, there is sometimes a state-level fee. For example, here in PA the FFL contacts the PA state police’s PICS system, and they do a state records check along with a NICS check. The cost of that PICS background check is $5.
Thanks..that's what I was asking..not the strange response about the gun shop person's time, electricty, free lunches and all. I have NO problem paying this, have about a dozen times, but curious if the agency contacted charged a fee..
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
Is their electric bill free? Their ad in the phone book? Credit card transaction fees?

I owned a small business for 15 years, I understand the costs involved..Hasn't been $ for yellow pages ads for decades..nobody uses the yellow pages..
I use the yellow pages!
They are great for showing the difference in impact difference of a hollow point vs. ball ammo.

:eek:Of COURSE..I have also..great targets, particularly for some defensive ammo..Like Lehigh Xtreme Defendr or G2..GREAT fun!!

Last edited:

TXAZ

I owned a small business for 15 years, I understand the costs involved..Hasn't been $ for yellow pages ads for decades..nobody uses the yellow pages..

I use the yellow pages!
They are great for showing the difference in impact difference of a hollow point vs. ball ammo.

FITASC

The yellow pages are still printed, and the electronic versions (as well as websites) ain't free.. Some folks whine about what FFLs charge, but the costs are there - whether direct as in the $5 fee from a state agency, to the indirect costs that need to be covered.