Back in after 20 years...

bdc2020

Hi All-
My first post here. I'm trying to find some good gun boards to learn more.

A little intro: I started shooting with my father about 22+ years ago. We used to go to the range all the time after he got off work. Friends would bring their firearms and everyone would share. :)

Time moved on, left for school, married, kids, etc. Never forgot about it but didn't feel it was the right time. Finally, I could put the thought off no further and took a basic firearms course and range safety course since it had been so long.

Bought my first handgun last week. I went in thinking a 9mm again would be my choice (in the past I have shot a .22, .357, 9mm, 10mm, .45, and a few others) but ended up leaving with a .40 cal. police trade in Glock 22 Gen 2.

It came with 2 magazines, but I bought a 3rd (used as well), a basic holster, and 300 rounds of ammo. I also really liked the feel of the aftermarket grip (can't recall the name) which you can see in the picture.

I feel it was a great choice and hope I enjoy it (going to the range tomorrow).

yIkHG.jpg

TheNocturnus

Welcome back. Don't forget to get a cleaning kit, hearing and eye protection.

I think you will like that glock. They are fun to shoot.

Amin Parker

Welcome to TheFiringLine and welcome back to shooting. You are at the right place, here you will meet great people with tons of knowledge.

Congratulations on your purchase. The Glock 22 is a very good weapon that will serve you well, im sure more handguns will be following shortly.

You mention your pistol is a Gen2, are you sure about this? I hope im wrong but it looks like a Gen1. They are equally good, i just wanna make sure.

Unistat76

I would say it's a Gen 2 because it has 3 pins (2 above the trigger 1 on the backstrap) and the checkering on the front of the trigger guard. Your grip sleeve is from Hogue, I have one on my G23.

bdc2020

Ah yes, Hogue grip. Thank you.

As far as the generation, it is a Gen 2 from what I found out (and was told) because of the grip pattern (as previous posted said). The salesman carried a gen 1 and then had gen 3's and 4's in stock as well. Only had Gen 2's used though.

I looked through/held so many thought, I may have even forgotten. :)

Welcome aboard!

Nice looking pistol. I also have the Hogue grip on my Glock 20 in 10mm and absolutely love it. Gives the gun a more positive feel in my hand much like the gen 3's with the finger grooves molded into the frame...

Enjoy and safe shooting.

LordTio3

I would say it's a Gen 2 because it has 3 pins (2 above the trigger 1 on the backstrap) and the checkering on the front of the trigger guard. Your grip sleeve is from Hogue, I have one on my G23.

Generation 2's are easily identifiable from the 1's and 3's. Generation 1's have two pins in the frames (one above the trigger guard and one in the backstrap) while the 2's and 3's have three pins (two above the trigger guard and one in the backstrap). Also, the generation 1's have a uniformed finish around the entire frame. The generation 2's have the rough side pannels with the stippling on the front and backstraps. And obviously the generation 3's have the finger grooves and rails as well (FG&R).

attachment.php

Yours is quite naturally a Generation 2 Model 22, as you said. Congratulations on your new firearm and remember all your safety gear (safety glasses, ear protection, the 4 rules, and your common sense).

~LT

bdc2020

Thanks all. Yep, I already had my ear and eye protection.

I'm overwhelmed with all the ammo choices available.

I asked the salesperson for some basic range ammo, he sold me those Independence boxes in the picture. They are listed as 165gr FMJ.

Can anyone recommend a good guide/book/link/etc. to help explain all the different brands/reliability vs. prices vs uses, etc?

BarryLee

Can anyone recommend a good guide/book/link/etc. to help explain all the different brands/reliability vs. prices vs uses, etc?

There are a lot of good post on this site. Try the search functon and see what pops up.

LordTio3

+1 on the search function... but as far as target and practice ammo goes, just shoot whatever cheap ammo you can find at your local store or Wal*mart. Your Glock will literally eat anything without a problem.* They are boringly reliable.

~LT

*STAY AWAY FROM LEAD AMMUNITION. Your Glock does not have traditional rifling. It has hexagonal rifling that is proned to "lead-fouling" and increased pressures caused by residue from lead ammunition, (especially in the .40S&W chambering).
NONONO...
s7_216752_imageset_02
NONONO...

PS- I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but the .40 caliber Glock models can all be easily converted to fire 9mm rounds as well. You can purchase a factory Glock or Lone Wolf Glock 17 9mm barrel, drop it in your slide, and get a Glock 17 9mm magazine and shoot 9mm as well. It is MUCH cheaper to practice with, especially when purchased in bulk.
bar-sto_glock17_9.jpg

$100
glock17.jpg

$25

bdc2020

Yes, the salesman did show me the barrel and magazine change to a 9mm.
(I haven't yet figured out how to reply to a specific post on here I only see 1 reply button).

The shop I purchased from was super. They were very friendly and helpful. Didn't rush, asked me a lot of questions, made a lot of recommendations, etc.

I ended up driving 30 minutes farther to this shop based on recommendations, over a closer one that wouldn't give me the time of day hardly (They are actually owned by a recent contestant on that Top Shot show, but they sure stink in customer service IMO). Too bad as I plan on purchasing two more handguns in the coming weeks.

BigJimP

Welcome ....

just ask a lot of questions - here and at your local range ...and listen a bunch ! Pretty soon you'll see trends on ammo / or any issues on your gun that may or may not pop up.