Back from Camp Whittington

Jessica Wellman

Hello everyone! It is nice to be back on the Firing Line and back home again in Indiana. I wanted to take this time to publicly thank Rich Lucibella, Mykl and Alicia Wadas from MothersArms.org for making my trip to the NRA’s Camp Whittington this past week possible. I thoroughly enjoyed the class and did graduate! Not with expert honors…but did graduate. ;)

I had a wonderful time and learned in great detail from Colonel Cooper’s friend and confidant Rich Wyatt. He was an excellent trainer and I walked away from the course with a new understanding in self-defense with a handgun.

I have an extremely busy week coming up with family visiting from out of state and also taking the Manager’s position at the Gun Shop while he is out of town. My hopes in the next few weeks, is to build a page on-line with photos and an essay covering my week long course with Gunsmoke. For those who may be interested in taking the course, hopefully it will be worth your time to read! Let me unpack first. ;)

Thanks again Rich, Mykl & Alicia for all the support, morale boosters and words of wisdom during this endeavor.

Next Stop for Training?? I need more certificates for my wall. :D

Jessica

------------------
The Armed Citizen

[This message has been edited by LadydeeJ (edited September 18, 2000).]

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Great! I'd guess that it would be difficult NOT to have a good time at a place like Whittington!

Now is the time for you to work out some regular schedule to maintain the skills you learned. To think about the "what if?" stuff, and the tactics to deal with it.

Work on your draw from whatever carries you decide upon; be smooth. Smoother is faster. Work on trigger control. Lots of dry-firing. After a while, your reflexes will pretty much take over--the often-argued "muscle memory". If you can develop a specific training routine for your live-fire at a range, I think you'll find that once a week will suffice. But the dryfire should be a daily thing for several months; after a few years of regular shooting you'll just need the few times a week of "staying tuned up".

I have found that the various articles in the gunzines, whether a column by Ayoob or others; or the "It happened to me" stuff, is valuable as to scenarios, the what-ifs, and more importantly, some what-not-to-dos.

Shootin's the easy part. It's the thinking that's important--and when in danger, more difficult.

Best regards, Art

Jessica Wellman

Thank you for the advice Art. Our trainers made sure to tell us that what we had learned this week was not like riding a bike! The skills we have learned will be lost if not exercised.

I didn’t make it to the place you told me about last week…Cimarron?? I did however get up way before everyone else each morning. If you awake before daybreak you get to see all the wildlife! I heard elk but never did see one. I was so disappointed. I listened to them every morning but they stayed hidden from me.

The deer and how they didn’t seem to be afraid amazed me! In Indiana you have to go deep in the woods to see a buck. I got up one morning to find a whole herd of deer (3 bucks and 5 or 6 doe) right outside my bedroom!

Much different scenery than where I’m from. I enjoyed my time spent there but was happy to see GREEN trees and grass when I returned home. :D

Take care,
Jessica

Miss Demeanors

WHHHHOOOOOOO Jessica! I can't wait to see the pics and hear all about your trip! I'm glad you had a great time and more certificates :)