Back carry holster opinions

redlightrich

Hello all, does anyone carry IWB in the small of their back? Can you explain any benefits or drawbacks?

I find it the most comfortable, and easiest to retrieve it when drawing palm out, but being I am in a state that doesn't permit concealed carry ( I am planning to move to a free state soon) I have no real experience.

Input is welcome

Thank you

Rich

shurshot

I had a SOB Bianchi decades ago for a Springfield .45 for awhile. Sitting in a car was uncomfortable. I soon sold the holster.

Sharkbite

Its a niche carry position at best.

Conceals well standing under a coat, is about its only advantage.

Hard to access when seated in a car.
Slow to draw from even when standing. You must move the gun thru 180 degrees to bring it to target
If you fall/get knocked onto your back it going to hurt you
Impossible weapons retention position.

Lots of downsides...not many upsides.

MandolinMan

As Paul Harrell said in the video linked below:

"I would advise you, do not carry your gun in something called the SOB position. What good could come from something called the SOB position?"
https://youtu.be/mfGKUg9yCBU

On a serious note, I think that there's a number of significant disadvantages to carrying small of back. It seems to have fallen out of favor with many serious firearms instructors for many reasons including:

-- Risk of spinal injury
-- Poor retention/ risk of having your gun snatched
-- Slower to deploy
-- Less accessible

The video linked above is really good definitely give it a watch.

redlightrich

Thank you all. My biggest fear is being I don't have eyes behind my head, the risk of having it snatched is real.

I can draw it very comfortably, but the drawbacks are real, and probably negate any value it may provide me......

The search continues

Thank you for your input

Rich

TailGator

I agree that you are correct in looking for other ideas. I carried that way when I first started, when good information was harder to come by. I never hurt by back by falling on it, but I found it hard to access when sitting, hard to draw without sweeping myself or someone else, and far too easy and frequent to find that my cover garment had hung up and exposed the handgun without me even knowing it.

James K

Member In Memoriam
IIRC, that carry style became popular when it was used in a TV show.* I am not sure where they got the idea. It is a very poor position; if you have to bend over for any reason, you look like that "humpty back camel" in the song, and there are no advantages. The idea that anyone searching you won't find the gun is absurd and would work only if the searcher were a complete fool.

Jim

*Remember that TV actors actually carry their guns (real or fake) only while shooting a scene that requires the gun be displayed or used. It is given to them by the prop manager just before the scene and taken back right after.
They don't carry all the time on the set or for a full work day like a real cop or armed citizen would.

JK

Crankylove

I’ve carried IWB SOB for 10 years now. First, a 3” 1911 in .45 Auto, and now a Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal.

Biggest reason I carry that way is I’m 5’8”, and 135 lbs soaking wet. I cant carry anywhere but SOB or appendix without major printing, and I find SOB to be less of a pain (literally and figuratively) than appendix carry.

With no padding, appendix carry always has the gun digging into either my hip or groin, and, honestly, I really didn’t like it pointed and my femoral artery or twig and berries all the time.

I’ve learned to squat instead of bend, and use holsters with positive retention. Short trips in the car (to work and back, running to the grocery store, etc) aren’t bad at all, but longer trips, I remove the pistol and have somewhere else. I haven’t fallen and hurt my back, but there are lots of people waiting for it to say “I told you so”.

I do occasionally carry OWB at 3-4 o’clock, mainly in the winter when I have multiple layers, or bulkier clothing on, but it’s pretty rare.

SOB isn’t for everybody, but it works for me.

cw308

I friend of mine use to carry a SOB holster, he was putting a box in the trunk of his car , need I say more . Easy Pickens. Bad for you bad for the back. OK in movies not real life.

bedbugbilly

If your young and you body is flexible enough - then go for it. If I could reach back there easily, I probably would as well once a while. Unfortunately, my shoulder won't allow me to do it.

Rob228

I took a nasty fall on some black ice a few years ago and escaped with a Glock 19 shaped bruise on my right kidney, if I had gone full small of back I likely wouldn't be walking.

redlightrich

As an update, I ordered the holster before I posed my question here. It arrived so I thought I would try it. I like it, and would use it if walking thru the woods, or working around the house, or on my property ( where the fear of it being snatched away is not likely). I also sat in my car, and while it wasn't comfortable, it wasn't unbearable either.

There is no way ( at least for me) to draw it while sitting in my car.

I can't give it a thorough workout yet, being I am in a super restrictive state, but I probably would carry SOB in certain conditions, like I mentioned earlier.

I am fairly certain that when I break free from this restrictive state, and move to a free state, I will occasionally carry in SOB. It feels very natural for me to draw it ( palm out) from that position. No I am not very young, but I am still in decent shape.

If I were going to be in a more crowded area, then I will need an alternate carry position. I will work on that soon.

Again, I appreciate everyone's knowledge and input!!

Rich

shurshot

"*Remember that TV actors actually carry their guns (real or fake) only while shooting a scene that requires the gun be displayed or used. It is given to them by the prop manager just before the scene and taken back right after. 
They don't carry all the time on the set or for a full work day like a real cop or armed citizen would.
JK"
Excellent point. Big difference today in how movies are made, compared to years ago. Prop guns are closely monitered and controlled. Lee Marvin, while filming the 1967 movie "Point Blank", supposedly carried his own personal S&W 4" .44 Magnum model 29. Actors would never be allowed to do that now. Although Lee Marvin, a WW2 USMC Pacific Theatre veteran and avid hunter, probably did whatever he dammed well pleased.