Baby Eagle conversion-DC to DA/SA?

zpo

I have a .40 baby eagle I got a year or two back, and don't really like the DC. Upon taking the slide apart, it looks like all I have to do is remove the pin that pushes down to drop the hammer to change it to DA/SA. When you flip the DC, the firing pin is pulled in to keep the hammer from hitting it, so it looks like this should work. I prefer CnL, and I was wondering if the smarter people on these boards could help me. The hammer will still fall if the trigger is pulled, but it won't fire. Is this a bad idea? Should I just look for a DA/SA to trade for? Thanks for any help.

Handy

I'm very familiar with the working of this pistol, but don't follow what you want or the terms you're using.

All Baby Eagles are DA/SA. What do you want, instead?

What is "DC"?

zpo

DC-DeCocker I don't like them, but it was a deal. I prefer manual safety. I was wondering if it would be ok if I just converted it myself.

Handy

Okay, you want the decocker safety to only work as a safety, allowing some sort of CnL carry?

Sure, that's possible. It won't be "locked", but blocked. There's a pin that comes down from the slide that trips the sear and drops the hammer when the decocker is pushed down. If that pin were to be ground off or removed the safety would prevent the gun from firing, but still allow the trigger to be pulled - it would just fall on a blocked firing pin, like when the decocker is used.

There are problems with this: One, the manual of arms is screwy. S&W has made a couple of guns like this (52, 952 and 745), but it is unusual. Two, grinding off that sear trip pin may cause something to get jammed internally. Removal would probably be better, but that assembly is held together by the roll pin on the right side lever - not fun.

Baby Eagles with frame mounted manual safeties used to be imported. You could find one of those. Or you could "settle" for the nearly identical pistol imported as the EAA Witness. Either would be superior to screwing with the internals of your gun.

(If I still didn't understand your posts, please clarify.)