Baby Browning FTF?

ScottRiqui

Baby Browning Fail To Feed?

Just bought a Browning .25 ACP semi-auto from a friend who hadn't fired it in decades. Gave it a good cleaning, and it looks almost new, inside and out. I took it to the range, but I could only test it with one type of ammo (PMC Bronze 50gr FMJ), since that's all I could find on the shelf locally.

The first round would always chamber when I racked the slide, but I'd always get one or two FTF during the course of a magazine. Since I only have one magazine, and I only had the one type of ammo, I couldn't do a lot of experimentation.

Anyway, I've since bought dies, cases and bullets (also 50gr FMJ) and am going to load up some ammo for it. Are there any "tips and tricks" to loading for the Browning? I'm wondering if it might work better with hotter loads, lighter loads, a particular COL, etc.

Thanks - I really don't know what inspired me to buy this cute lil' bugger, but if I have it, I'd like for it to work.

Last edited:

kcub

I have one that has always worked flawlessly with fmj for which it was designed.

How is it failing? How and where is the round oriented? Is it random or always the first, last? A picture in it's failed state would help us help you.

RKG

The hardest thing about reloading .25 Auto is avoiding pinching your fingers when seating bullets in the very short case.

Also, if you use a powder measure, but sure that the measure can reliably throw the tiny charge (from memory, on the other of 1.0 grains of Bullseye). It's been quite a while since I reloaded a bunch of .25 Auto, but I seem to recall that I trickled each charge.

Bill DeShivs

I have never seen a bad recoil spring on a Browning .25. Recoil springs should not be changed because you think something is wrong.
The little gun is difficult for some people to hold, causing misfeeds.
Also, check to see if someone has messed with the magazine feed lips. Normally, these little guns are extremely reliable if held firmly.

ScottRiqui

It's a failure to feed - thanks for pointing out the ambiguity; I've updated the thread title.

My normal range is closed indefinitely because of a fire, but I'll find somewhere to shoot the gun, and I"ll pay particular attention to how I'm holding it, and get pictures if it continues to fail. Will also check out the feed lips on the mag.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

gyvel

Usually feeding problems are caused by a magazine problem. Magazines for the Baby Browning are still relatively common and Bauer stainless mags as well as PSP mags are identical and will interchange.