• 500 S&W MAG, BAD TO THE BONE

Votes: 16 10.9%
  • 460 S&W MAG, SPEED KILLS!

Votes: 34 23.1%
  • 44 MAGNUM, TRIED AND TRUE

Votes: 98 66.7%

• Total voters

Xwrench3

so, given that money is not an object, would you choose a S&W 500 mag, S&W 460 mag, or 44 magnum revolver? those are your choices, no other makes or models. intended use would be deer and bear hunting, and back up for hiking in bear country. it would be a 5 or 6" barrel. don't want to try to get a 10" barrel out of a holster when a bear is 10 yards away!

Doodlebugger45

I currently have a 44 mag. It's nice and powerful and has a very manageable recoil. But I truly lust after a 460 magnum. If I was planning on purposely going after big game with a handgun, that would be my choice. But... although it would be a neat revolver to own, it's not a practical choice for me. I don't think it would be fun to go to the range and fire 50 rounds in 460 mag loading. The neat thing of course is that if you have a 460 revolver, you can always shoot 454 or even 45 Colt ammo for fun. But I already have a 45 Colt for fun shooting.

Someday though... a 460 could very well show up on my doorstep just looking for a good home...

davlandrum

.460 - of course I am biased, because I own one...

Lets you shoot .45 Colt, .454 Casull, or .460 as Doodle pointed out.

Although the marketing hype on the .460 is all about the speed, there are load recipes for heavier bullets moving slower as well.

I don't think it would be fun to go to the range and fire 50 rounds in 460 mag loading

In the 8 inch, with the compensator, I feel it is about the same as a .44
I have burned through 160 rounds of .460 in one range day. Of course, I had to work for a week to pay for it...

Honestly, I have to limit the amount of .460 I take to the range now because I will shoot every round I take....

Last edited:

Willie Lowman

If I find my self face to face with an animal I can't kill with a .44mag, I have to ask myself why I took my guns to the zoo.

What kind of bear are we talking about here? Brown, 500. Black, .44mag

davlandrum

Willie - not about bear protection for me. I aspire to get good enough for a 200 yard hunting range with my .460. I am not there yet, but I am ethical enough to know that and limit my range accordingly. But it will come. I might have to win the lottery to feed the beast first, but it will come.

dairycreek

Willie - not about bear protection for me. I aspire to get good enough for a 200 yard hunting range with my .460. I am not there yet, but I am ethical enough to know that and limit my range accordingly. But it will come. I might have to win the lottery to feed the beast first, but it will come.
davlandrum

My congratulations on your comments. They show real class.

kayakersteve

460 or bust...

AWesome package
March_07_d08.jpg

bigghoss

my vote if for the .460 just because of the versatility. I don't have any of the 3 yet and I'll probably get a .44 first just because I can't afford an x-frame, but if I had to pick one it'd be the .460 because it can pretty much do whatever the other two can.

Housezealot

I just put a .500 on layaway, being that I don't spend time in bear country I cant imagine needing anything with more stopping power than a .357 and I usually only carry .40 so as far as big goes, it's all for the kicks and I might as well have the biggest. but if I was going to be in bear country I might as well have more than enough gun.

Webleymkv

I voted for the .44 Magnum because, as was already pointed out, if I need more power than that I'll get a rifle or shotgun. Also, .44 Magnum ammo is cheaper and easier to find than .500 S&W, .460 S&W, .454 Casull, or .45 Colt

3StrikesNC

Guess I'm biased .....:eek:
SW460.jpg

Besides the .460 S&W, this chambers the Schofield, Casull & Long Colt.
Pretty amazing, pick your round.

gb_in_ga

Old School. .44 Mag for me.

Smaller package, more manageable recoil, more variety of platforms. Old school revolvers are available chambered in it.

Oh, and it will do anything I need a big bore revolver to do.

Pathfinder45

Older school

I only voted fo .44 magnum because I wasn't allowed to vote for .45 Colt. If I need something more powerful than either of these two, then I need a rifle.

Dingoboyx

You missed an option?

You forgot to add an "all of the above" option :D

I have a couple of 44 mag Vaquaro's, would love to try a 460 or 500 tho :eek:

The only bears we have in Oz are Koala's (can't hunt with a pistol & especially not Koala's) so I would just like to have them, to have them... and punch some BIG holes in paper (dying to try the watermellon shoot too) :D

Auto426

I never had the urge to have the biggest most powerful handgun around. To me, at least, they are usually useless, used only for bragging rights and showing off. I prefer something that I can actually afford and use, but I've always been more of a realist.

A .44 magnum is about all that you really need. It will be the most controllable and the more affordable. Controllability is very important in a self defense situation, you need to make your first shot count, and be prepared for follow up shots if necessary. You also need to look at ammo availability and price. You can find .44 magnum just about anywhere, and the price will allow you to practice more than a .500 or .460 will.