Ayoob files...

BigG

In a recent edition of American Handgunner, I was reading Ayoob's article about the gunfights of Col. Charles Askins, Jr.

It brought back memories of reading Askins' original articles back in the '60s, re: his border patrol escapades.

The color of gun writers blood today would be weak iced tea (incl. Mas), compared to ol' Charlie, who would bleed blood red, I'm sure! No post shooting trauma, there! What ever happened to those ol' time writers?

Elmer, .270 Jack, Skeeter, etc., etc.? Anybody miss those guys? Any anecdotes?

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I agree with you to a certain extent, but I imagine there were guys in the old days who got just as shook up as any of today's shooters.

We hear about the Bill Jordans. Or of Frank Hamer, who telegraphed back to Austin, one time, that "There's nothing wrong here that a little salubrious killing won't fix, and I'm just the man to give it to them." I've met Jordan, Joaquin Jackson, and two generations of Allees. PTS? No way.

But you can't judge the many by the few. And just over a half-century ago, PTS was called "combat fatigue". Nothing's changed but the label.

FWIW, Art

Mort

I love reading about the exploits of Keith and Askins. Then, I think about how instructors nowadays say you'll get sued if you have a light trigger on your 1911. It makes me sad.

In his attitude, Askins reminds me of Miyamoto Musashi or the Red Baron. In fact, for several years I've wanted to write a book tying some of these historical "honorable killers" together. I suspect I'll write it eventually, but college tends to take up a lot of one's time...

Trevor

For those too young to remember, the autobiography of Col. Askins is still available. It is called _Unrepentant Sinner_. I recommend it highly. Paladin Press still carries it. True, Askins is the type of man one doesn't see much of now. He grew up in Oklahoma when it was still very much a frontier. That background probably has much to do with who he was. Most folk today are too citified to appreciate the difference.