AWB ban renewal after death chances

jefnvk

WHEN the AWB ban finally dies, how soon is it theoretically possible to get a new one in place? The question I ask is because I will be attending school about 500 miles away from home soon. Since this is my first year, I will not be taking my guns right away. What I want to do is to add a folding stock to my 10/22, and stock up on some 30-rd mags. The soonest I will be coming home is November 19.

As I understand it right now, the gun had to be in its configuration pre-ban, meaning just because the gun was manufactured before 9/94, didn't mean that you could add anything you wanted to. SO what I want to do is to get the rifle and stock together ASAP. My hope is that nothing will be done before elections, and I doubt that two weeks is enough time to get anthing in place.

Tommy Vercetti

A NEW AWB bill!

Look who's sponsoring SB1431, this bill not only extends the "Assault Weapons Ban" but also REVISES it to INCLUDE ANY semiautomatic RIFLE or PISTOL that has the ability to accept a DETACHABLE magazine..............
there goes your antique Colt 1911..........and you HUNTERS, who Kerry is wooing, how many semiautomatic hunting rifles and shotguns with detachable magazines do you have? Make your voice heard write your elected officials NOW

Bill Summary & Status for the 108th Congress

S.1431
Title: A bill to reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Lautenberg, Frank R. [NJ] (introduced 7/17/2003)Cosponsors (14)
Related Bills: H.R.2038
Latest Major Action: 7/17/2003 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SHORT TITLE(S) AS INTRODUCED:
Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003

OFFICIAL TITLE AS INTRODUCED:
A bill to reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes.

COMMITTEE(S):
Committee/Subcommittee: Activity:
Senate Judiciary Referral, In Committee

RELATED BILL DETAILS: (additional related bills may be indentified in Status)
Bill: Relationship:
H.R.2038 Related bill identified by CRS

COSPONSORS(14),
Sen Akaka, Daniel K. [HI] - 1/28/2004 Sen Boxer, Barbara [CA] - 9/25/2003
Sen Clinton, Hillary Rodham [NY] - 10/1/2003 Sen Corzine, Jon [NJ] - 7/17/2003
Sen Dodd, Christopher J. [CT] - 2/23/2004 Sen Durbin, Richard J. [IL] - 2/9/2004
Sen Feinstein, Dianne [CA] - 2/23/2004 Sen Kennedy, Edward M. [MA] - 2/9/2004
Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] - 11/21/2003 Sen Levin, Carl [MI] - 2/9/2004
Sen Mikulski, Barbara A. [MD] - 9/4/2003 Sen Reed, John F. [RI] - 9/4/2003
Sen Sarbanes, Paul S. [MD] - 10/1/2003 Sen Schumer, Charles E. [NY] - 12/9/2003

SUMMARY AS OF:
7/17/2003--Introduced.

Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003 - Amends Federal firearms provisions to revise the definition of "semiautomatic assault weapon" (SAW) to include conversion kits (for converting a firearm to a SAW) and any semiautomatic rifle or pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and that has any one of the following characteristics, respectively: (1) a folding or telescoping stock, a threaded barrel, a pistol grip, a forward grip, or a barrel shroud; or (2) a second pistol grip, a threaded barrel, a barrel shroud, or the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at a location outside of the pistol grip.

Amends: (1) the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to reauthorize the assault weapons ban and add new restrictions; and (2) the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act to repeal the sunset provision regarding restrictions on large capacity ammunition feeding devices (LCAFDs) and on specified SAWs.

Repeals exemptions from the Brady Act regarding certain semiautomatic rifles and shotguns.

Prohibits the transfer of a SAW except through a licensed dealer or a State or local law enforcement agency, subject to specified requirements. Directs the Attorney General to: (1) establish and maintain a record of the make, model, and date of manufacture of any SAW which the Attorney General is made aware has been used in relation to a crime, and of the nature and circumstances of the crime involved; and (2) annually submit the record to Congress and make the record available to the public.

Prohibits: (1) the transfer of any assault weapon with an LCAFD; and (2) a licensed manufacturer, importer, or dealer who transfers an LCAFD that was manufactured on or before September 13, 1994, from failing to certify to the Attorney General, within 60 days of the transfer date, that the device was manufactured on or before that date. Sets penalties for violations.

Prohibits: (1) the transfer of a SAW or an LCAFD to a juvenile; and (2) the importation of an LCAFD.

If this is made law criminals will have the upper hand .

Make your voice heard write your elected officials NOW.In a few weeks this bill will be voted on.