Aware 2002

mattjoe

Tim- any idea what days are still open?
I'm one of the slackers who still hasn't committed to shooting this one yet. and seeing as how it is in a couple weeks......

WESHOOT2

GOLFING WITH TIGER WOODS

I'm on the SuperSquad with Todd Jarrett, Jerry Barnhart, j.J. Racaza, etc.......

Whoohoo!

FY33102

mattjoe

tim- i see you shoot up there at GMPS almost all the time, you going to be helping run the match too?

I'm coming up for the Friday afternoon.
Should be fun, I sure hope it's cooler next week than it has been this week.
But then again... it seems like tradition that the Aware Match is held in intense heat, i see you shot the 2000 match in NY, I havent ever shot a match which was hotter than that one.

WESHOOT2

"I'M MELTING"

I have perfect attendance at GMPS matches; made all since '95.

I will be setting up 7/7 and 7/9, shooting Sunday 7/14 with SuperSquad.
Might be slightly cooler.......

Yes, the '00 AWARE was hot (melted down in afternoon, just wanted to sit down. Twelve stages; lost my concentration after eight LOL).

Will be shooting a 'tune-up' at WPS on 7/6. Guess I better start making some ammo :D

WESHOOT2

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL

Just got in from helping set up the range for this year's AWARE.

Too much...........gotta come see these stages.

Still some slots available, apparently all days. To check / find out / sign-up-and-shoot go to www.gmps.ws and follow.........

Remember, this is for charity (but there are some prize guns!).

mattjoe

hey tim-
dont know if you'll see this, but good luck tomorow
and here's some info- the swingers on stage 3 near the barrells, FAST FAST FAST!!!

WESHOOT2

mattjoe

Thank you.

Watched Mr. Jarrett today.
I'm shooting 7/14 (how appropriate to my style).

I'm goin' shootin'...............
FY33102

mattjoe

you watched him? I thought you were shooting with him on sunday. What happened?

Get all your hits!
Also, on the car stage, if you don't know already- leave the car, go left and stand right behind the metal support for the snow fence. You can shoot every target from right there.

WESHOOT2

JOY TO BEHOLD

Mr. Jarrett had a more pressing personal matter; switched to Saturday.
Fast fast fast (saw him shoot the Bus, Canoe, and Car).

ACCURACY TAKES PRECEDENCE OVER SPEED

I will shoot with the others............... Mr.'s Barnhart, Racaza, etc.

WESHOOT2

mattjoe

THINK you won A Open, third (?) overall.

I took the visible swinger still laying down from the final port by the plates (so I could then duck down to get the target through the port and do my reload on the way to the fire hydrant............shot this stage clean.:eek:

I, on the other hand, had the correct raffle ticket. I now own a Caspian 38 Super hi-cap custom-built by a Mr. Craig.

Thank you Caspian.

mattjoe

NO WAY! you won the gun! THAT RULES!
that was a NICE gun.
Talk about an awesome result for going to a match.

Yes, first A open, 3rd place.

Congrats on the new toy.

WESHOOT2

CONGRATS TO YOU

Our local range officials said you were a true gentleman (and fun, too).

Wonder what gun you'll win............

I think I was third C Open :cool:

mattjoe

Hi Tim-
Well, I don't consider myself a true gentlemen, just treat people like my mom raised me to is all.
I kinda doubt that guns will be awarded all the way back to 3rd Open. I dont even know what the prizes were, I only had a short amount of time to get through the vendors tent, basically a quick walk through, but knowing i didn't have any money, there was kind of no point. I noticed a big yellow C More box on the Aware Prize table display. But didnt walk in and look under the glass due to having to hurry to the shooters meeting. I drove up Friday morning shot friday afternoon, and drove home. Put 9 1/2 hours on the road that day. Sadly, tried to make the trip home a bit quicker, and ended up penalized, sitting by the side of the road while the good state trooper came back with a ticket for me to add to my ever growing collection.

Tim, third C open you'll never remember, the day you won a gun, now thats something you'll NEVER forget!
Are you going to begin shooting that one all the time now?
What is it you currently shoot?

by the way, thanks for posting about this match in here, i was on the fence about going to this becuase of how far it was, and finances, it was, Aware or Area 7, I'm glad you brought it up.

WESHOOT2

WELL, MAYBE 4th C.........

Still may get something nice for 1st A Open..........

I was shooting a stock (except for EGW firing pin) Witness 9mm frame and slide with a factory 9x21 barrel and two-port comp.
Lead bullets.
One 18-rd mag, one 17-rd mag, and a bunch of 15/16-rd mags.
Iron sights.

Normally I shoot this, a kinda' stock 9x19 Witness, a 38 Super Witness, a 41AE Witness, a 40 S&W Witness, a GP100, or Redhawks in all four calibers (but leaning towards more time with the 7.5" 357).
Or my 1911, Caspian of course.

Touched the new gun today (match FFL is buddy, and 'smithed my Caspian), trying to decide whether to fit iron sights, a Tasco Optima, or a (friggin') dot.

Don't know what I'll do with it (always expected my second Caspian to be another 1911-style but sequenced serial with the first and in 9x23 or 10mm).
Probably put a dot on it, tweak it to my personal style, and go racing...............

Ain't shootin' IPSC fun? (man those kids J.J. and Max are fast)

mattjoe

Hey, i used to shoot the 9x21 also. that was my first gun for this. A caspian, still got it, but it shot itself into becoming a 9x23 over the many years.
Thats a great thing you already have one, you wont need new mags now will you?
but you do need a dot!
i'd never mount a tasco optima on a gun for competition, for the sole reason that its on the slide, will take more of a beating than a frame mounted scope, and will also move as the slide cycles, rather than remaining stationary like the frame mounted ones. Finding the dot for the second shot just seems harder with one of those.
YES, you must come racing.

and yes, i think its the most fun and challenging out of any of the shooting sports. And I pretty much try to shoot them all.

as for Max- i still dont have any idea how someone shot some of those stages that much faster than I did. It wasn't like just a little bit, on a few it was considerably faster!
I gotta get me a spot on the army marksmanship unit, I want to be that fast!