autoloader used in the movie "Big Jake"

jmlv

In the movie Big Jake one of the sons of the caractor carries a "newly" designed autopistol. I always wondered exactly what it was. anybody?

seeker_two

If I remember correctly, it was a Bergman-Bayard in 9mm Long. But it's been a long time since I watched that film. Need to visit the video store...:D

tcurtis

It was described as a "Bergmann, 1911" and that it was "gas operated you see".

I don't know if that's really what it was, but that's how the actor who played John Wayn'es son Michael (a Mitchum if I'm not mistaken) described it to John Wayne.

It was definitely not a Borchardt.

Dfariswheel

I believe it was a model 1910 Bergmann Bayard, 9mm.

The Borchardt was the very large predecessor of the 1908 Luger.
It looks like an enormous, very long barreled, Luger.

Fred Hansen

weapons101.gif
I'm thinking it was a Bergman-Bayard 1910

radom

I was thinking a 1896 as that was the model they where talking about.pobably was a bergman in mauser clothes and they were full of BS.

Joe Demko

It's been years since I saw the movie, but I'm pretty sure that the gun itself was a Borchardt, whatever they might have called it. Remember, we're talking about a movie and we all know Hollywood's flawless reputation when it comes to guns.

Marko II

The blond haired actor who played Jake's youngest son was Christopher Mitchum, son of actor Robert Mitchum. The dark haired actor who played Jake's eldest son was Patrick Wayne, the Duke's real life son. Wayne's son Michael produced the film, and his son John Ethan also appeared in the movie, but off the top of my head I can't recall which character he played.

Take care. Marko

Jim Watson

It was a P-38 faked up by the prop department to look like a Bergmann. Potmetal or plastic added on to look like a forward magazine well. There is a scene where you can see the ribbed P-38 grips and the heel magazine catch.

MK40

Christopher Mitchum's character is the one that carried the semi auto pistol. He was the "modern" son who rode a motorcycle and I believe he was the one in the bell tower toward the movie's end with a scoped rifle acting as a sniper to cover the Duke at the ransom exchange.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
BLARST!!!

I NEVER find these threads in time to run in with the answer. (On the rare occasions when I know the correct answer, that is.)

Jim Watson grabs the prize on THIS one, for sure. I was tickled to see the attempt made to insert some up-to-date stuff in that movie, even with a hoked-up P38.

The makers messed up when the outfitted the Ranger contingent with '03 Springfield rifles, though. They used a lot of .30-06s in that time period, but all I've ever known of were Winchester '95s.

Best,
Johnny