Auto Ordnance Parkerized 1911?

tdmoparguy

I'm looking for a 1911 to buy as my first handgun. I'm wanting it to be as close to a WWII 1911 as possible and made in the USA is a must. Are the Auto Ordnance Parkerized 1911's worth messing with?

doctruptwn

I no longer have mine, but The one I had was a good shooter. It needed an adjustment to the extractor out of the box but after that was handled it shot fine. The Auto Ord is an OK gun it is made by Kahr now. Avoid the West Hurley NY, Auto Ords as they had spotty at best quality control. The WWII model was only made in 2000-2001 so they are sometimes hard to find new. If I was you I'd wait 6 months to a Year. I have a feeling the everybody and their bother is going to be producing a "100 year" aniversery model. I figure the market will be flooded.

shafter

I just bought one a few months ago. I really wanted a 1911 and didn't want to spend too much. I picked one up for about $500. I really wanted a GI style pistol. I've only fired about 100rds of ball ammo through it but it functioned fine. I used the factory mag and a Kimber 8rd mag and they both worked good. The better quality of the kimber mag is obvious. Its a great feeling and looking gun and I love the US Army markings on the slide.
The downside are the small sights but it is a GI gun and historical accuracy is important. Besides my vision is better than 20-20 so it really doesn't matter. The other con is that the parkerized finish gets scratched really easy. Its not noticable unless you look close but you can see marks where the finish gets worn. I don't really mind too much since I want the vintage look but you should be aware of it.
I've read alot of negative reviews online but the quality has supposedly gotten better in the past few years. There's nothing about my gun that makes me feel that its a piece of junk.

Chris_B

I have one as well. My only complaint is magazines. I have two different types, all three work in other people's 1911s but seem to produce issues in mine. I saw with my own eyes a member of my club cuss out his Auto-Ordnance M1911A1 on the firing line, his could have been my 45's twin, "this so-and-so POS won't feed no matter what, POS isn't worth a dime, etc". Another member lent him a high end magazine. Immediate and flawless operation! It was like magic

I agree, get one made in Worcester Mass and not West Hurley. The place of manufacture will be on the right of the receiver by the top of the grip.

They seem to mimic 1943 production, more or less. I put a 1940's USGI trigger in mine, and it was a direct drop-in part and works wonderfully. I like mine a lot although I can't seem to hit anything with it; the GI sights are just not my thing so far. I need more practice with them.

The A-O is not the best made 1911 on the planet but it feels tough and capable and mechanically is durable and rugged. All the controls work well and smoothly on mine. I like it a lot and it was an easy way to get into the 1911 game. I really like the small rollstamps, a huge plus to me. And it really plays the part of a WWII GI .45 well. I would recommend it as a first 1911

m1911A1.jpg

Brian48

Have had mine for over a year now. The extractor kept loosing it tune and required me readjusting it. After a while, I simply replaced the OEM part with a drop-in one from Cylinder & Slide. The mag that came with it was crap also and only worked reliably with hardball.

Other than that, this gun has simply been superb. It's one of the most reliable 1911s I've owned and provided I use any other mag besides the factory one, it will feed virtually any type of bullet. It's my current home defense gun right now.

autoordnance_results.jpg

Chris_B

My Pop grew up in Westie, and I went to school at CM. I grew up in Dedham.

Small world. Hope I've never cut you off on Center Street...;)

Brian48

My Pop grew up in Westie, and I went to school at CM. I grew up in Dedham.

Small world. Hope I've never cut you off on Center Street...

No chance, I avoid Center St. like the plague. Well, unless the wife really, really needs something from Roche Bros or the Post Office.

Scout

I've got one and love it. Reminds me of the one I carried in the Army. ditto on the finish wearing off easily. I carry mine concealed and the finish is wearing off on the slide where it touches my jeans.