Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine shooting far left.

PushPuller

My AO M1 Carbine that I was though was accurate at my 25 yard indoor range, revealed itself to shoot very far left at 100 yards last weekend when I got a chance to take it outside with some actual distance. its shooting about 12-14 inches to the left at 100 yards. It has the fixed sights so for a moment I just figured id get used to it but as time goes on its really grinding my gears. Iv never drifted a dovetail sight before and was wondering if maybe this is an issue I should take up with Auto Ordnance and see if it is covered under its warranty, or if its a pretty straight forward fix I can do here at home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mobuck

"its shooting about 12-14 inches to the left at 100 yards."
That equates to 3-3.5" at 25 yards. Something else is wrong.

COSteve

I'd take a long straight edge and lay it along the barrel to make sure that the barrel isn't bent slightly. As a former US Army Armorer, it isn't uncommon for the barrels to get tweaked a bit. If it isn't bent, it may be canted on the receiver either because the receiver was drilled crooked or because the barrel was cross threaded.

In any case, I'd send it back to AO and tell them how it shoots so they can check the barrel fit and straightness. You'll may need a replacement carbine if the barrel is on the action at an angel.

BTW, I have an AO carbine I got NIB back in 2012 and mine is significantly more accurate than my pristine '43 NPM GI carbine. I shoot out at 200 yds with it and it's 2-3 MOA capable with decent ammo.

PushPuller

That equates to 3-3.5" at 25 yards. Something else is wrong.

I should clarify that at the indoor range I did not have access to a sandbag, and did not shoot from a bench. So anything peculiar I chalked up to me having an off day. But once I realized it was consistently off I brought the target back to 25 yards where it was about 2-3 inches to the left.

I should also clarify that the results were yielded first with Fiocchi ammo, then Aguila as well.

You say it has fixed sights, then in the next sentence mention drifting a sight... if they are truly fixed, then you can’t drift the sight at all so you’d have to send it to the mfg to fix.

If they are not fixed sights and can actually be drifted, a sight drifting tool is easy to get and easy to use. Remember, if you’re drifting the front sight, you drift it the direction of the bullet impacts (left in this case, when rifle is mounted to shoulder), if drifting the rear sight, it needs to move opposite the direction of the bullet impacts (right in this case when rifle is mounted to shoulder). Small adjustments make for big movement at 100yds.

AK103K

Id sit or lay down and sandbag it, and take your time and try and zero it. Start at 25 and get it tight, and then check it at 100 and fine tune it.

Is the rear centered in the dovetail? If not, where is it.

If its centered, and shooting left, try drifting it right, and see where it goes. Dont worry about being a little bold in the initial adjustment, it will give you your answer quicker. Better to over shoot a bit and then fine tune it back, than to waste a lot of ammo just trying to walk it over a half inch at a time.

If you drift the rear all the way to the right and its not moving, then something is probably not right. Id call AO and ask.

The AO guns are set up like the early Carbines, right? Most of the GI guns were arsenal updated and got the latter adjustable rear sights.

If you think that might be a better route for you, Numrich/Gun Parts has GI rear sights for around $20-45 for a complete sight.

At least with them, you get easy windage and elevation adjustments.

With either, elevation is done with a file on the front sight.

Road_Clam

Shoot off a stable rest and rear bag if possible PRIOR to making the assumption that the sights are the issue. Shooting offhand unless your are a master marksmen is NOT the best way to determine a gun's sight accuracy . If after shooting off a rest you still have a consistent POI that's left, ok now you have verified an issue elsewhere. I often seek the help of another shooter to verify when i'm having an issue.

ammo.crafter

off sight

Groups are more important and indicative indicators of accuracy than bullseyes.

You should be able to place 3 shots inside the diameter of a quarter at 25 yds.

Follow the advices stated by others. Stable firing table, rifle rest, sand bags, etc., comfortable sitting position, exact same ammo ...same manufacturer, same lot number, same weight, etc.

Make everything "the same" so that the only adjustable issue would be your rifle.

Good luck and take your time; don't get frustrated.

44 AMP

Staff
There is one thing you ought to check before you send the gun back to the maker, and that is you.

Is it possible it might be you, and not the gun/ammo? Everyone shoots slightly differently, and sometimes, its us, without us even realizing it.

If possible, have some other people (known good shots) shoot your carbine, and see what their results are. If tis about the same with them as it is with you, then the issue is most likely the gun itself.

But, if some of them are right on target, and you're a foot left, then the issue is more likely your technique with that specific gun.

Some times the stars line up and what we do that is right for other guns isn't quite the right thing for a particular individual gun.

Two different people can look through the sights differently, and have different points of impact, even though both are shooting the same gun ammo, and sight setting. So, make sure its not just you, before sending the gun off to be fixed, because if it is you, the factory can't fix that, only you can.

T. O'Heir

You do need to bench rest the thing though. Don't fiddle with the sights until you do that. If you have never shot it off a solid bench, you have not sighted the thing in at all.
Highly unlikely to be a bent barrel.
Look at the front sight for how far to the right it is. Front sights get moved in the opposite direction you want the group to go. I'm not sure if AO Carbines have the front sight key or not.
Then look at the rear for centreing. Rear sights go in the direction you want the group to go.