auto ordnance m-1 carbine any good?

Tom2

features

I have not heard bad about them, but I think they should have ditched the bayonet lug, metal handguard, and put on the pushbutton safety. If it has the rotary type. I would think it would be time for a real quality carbine since the cheap milspecs are all dried up. You would think Winchester would buy some quality commercial guns and put their name and serial number range on them. They would be instant collectors and sell for big bucks!

cheygriz

The Auto Ordnance/Kahr is a MilSpec weapon. And certainly is higher quality than Universal or Plainfield. Much higher!

They couldn't have put a push button safety and maintained MilSpec. I've had one for about a month, and about 500 rounds now, and it appears to be just as good as the one I was issued in 1961.

Are they any good? I would say definitely, YES! :)

deezulsmoke

Yes it will take a GI stock. I have one and have snugged it into the other stocks of the USGI carbines that I have. I have also replaced the stock with a GI stock and handguard. And yes, the metal guard will fit a USGI Carbine.

It is a fine weapon for the money. Just make sure to get some GI mags. The one that I have shoots as well as any of the other GIs that I have and has been reliable. It seemed to be a bit tight when new, has about 2000 rounds through it now and is running fine.

Deez.

Tom2

Sure they could

Sure they could ditch the rotary safety and bayonet lug and be milspec. Just WW2 milspec instead of postwar milspec. Who is gonna monkey with the bayonet on a commercial gun? IF they made a flashlight mount for that lug, that would be better! laser? But I will admit my GI gun is postwar milspec kind of configuration. When I built it I went with some postwar or late war style stuff just for better reliability. But I would still ditch the lug and rotary switch. Guess the rotary switch is good to baffle the uninitiated user in case a bad guy grabs the gun. But I like pushbuttons or the safety on the Garand/Ruger mini.

kittyhawk

I love mine my wife shoots it better than her AR have shoot 500 rounds in the last 2 weeks and only 1 problem bad primer not the gun.
It like the fact that gimags are cheap and easy to find at gun shows, I got 1000 rounds of 1960's surplus ammo in a sealed tin for $110 out the door.

Dave

cheygriz

What's a good price?

I dunno about the rest of the country, but up here in the Rockies, they run $450-$500 NIB.

SirMissalot

Re:

New2guns,

I think the jury is still out on these as well as the other commercial M1 carbines. From what I have read it's a luck of the draw as to what you get. Most carbine affeciandos will tell you to find a reimported/refurbished USGI Carbine (~$500+) or spend $750-1000 on an original condition USGI.