AUTO-ORDINANCE THOMPSON M1 ANY GOOD?

Grapeshot

Hope to hear from some owners.

In checking out AO's site, they are now supposedly using Kahr's CNC know-how to produce these things, very interesting ...

Monkeyleg

I had a 1927 A1 (the Elliot Ness model) in full auto until three years ago. It jammed constantly, sometimes because of the drum magazine and sometimes while feeding into the chamber. This was with ball ammo. Maybe things have improved since I purchased that subgun in 1988 (it was one of the last pre-bans, so they were probably rushing production).

Still, there's something almost mystical about holding one.

Dick

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Monkeyleg--

You say you had a 1927A1 full auto? Did it fire from open bolt or closed?

All of the late production full autos I have seen (other than the WW-II types, M-1) are marked "1928."

By definition, the 1927 was/is the semi-suto carbine. Are we discussing the same item here?

I know some of the late production drums was pretty sloppy. Did you try it with the 20 and 30-round box magazines?

My only experience with the M-1 and M-1A1 types have been in full auto, and they worked fine.

Best,
Johnny

MOLON LABE!

Monkeyleg

Hi, Johnny. My mistake. It was a 1928. A production full-auto 1927 Thompson would have been worth some cash!

It fired from an open bolt. As for the drum, it wasn't one of the current crop of drum magazines, it was a Bridgeport drum. I paid $300 for it in 1988. (Paid $1800 for the Thompson itself). And sold both three or four years ago for $2200 :( .

The gun would jam even if I used a stick magazine. In its defense, the gun was tight when I bought it new, and I only put about 1200 to 1600 rounds through it, so it wasn't really even broken in. The trick that I never learned for the drum problem was to judiciously file the lips until it fed right.

Too bad I've never had enough $$$ to keep guns that I don't shoot.

Dick

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Hummm . . .

Dick, if you had trouble with BOTH drum and box mags, and since the drum was a Bridgeport rather than the lousy West Hurley 40 (I know, 39, really) rounder, I imagine the problem was with the bolt face or chamber throat.

Anyway, yours is gone now, so little use in this post mortem, I guess. Glad I've been able to keep mine. My only problems have been traceable to bad magazines, and briefly, to a broken ejector.

Best,
Johnny

MOLON LABE!