Auto Ordinance M1 Carbine Problem

Dog Confetti

Bought a new Auto Ordinance (Kahr) M1 Carbine about 10 months ago. I had problems from the start...failures to fire about %50 of the time. After finally tearing it apart, looking at how everything fits together, and taking it back to the range I've come to a conclusion...the firing pin appears to be too short. It's a free floating firing pin (no spring) and I tested this on the range by tilting the weapon up (firing pin falls to the rear) and it fires %100 of the time, then tilting the rifle forwards (pin rests against the primer) and if fails to fire %100 of the time (no mark on the primer). Has anyone else run into this? Does Auto Ordinance use mil-spec parts? Their warranty is only 1 year, and I've been dragging ass on this problem (also, their service dept e-mail was a dead address)...I also don't want to send the whole thing back if I don't have to...any experience?

blume357

Even though I've had no experience with them, I would expect

Auto ordinace to take care of the problem regardless of 12 months or what ever.... A phone call is often the best way to start. But then you might want to try cleaning the firing pin and parts... very slight oil and possibly polishing it a little.

Dog Confetti

The firing pin moves freely...there's nothing obstucting it (I can hear it slide forwards and back when I tilt the weapon). The problem is when it is forwards, against the primer, it doesn't extend out the rear of the bolt far enought for the hammer to hit it.

I've been using Aguila, but it's not the ammo...when it fails to fire there is no mark left on the primer.

Threefeathers

I'd say it is probably the firing pin. The problem with these carbines is that militay parts often don't fit. That said I've had good luck with Auto-Ord in the past. Having a spare firing pin isn't a bad idea anyway.

44 AMP

Staff
You bought a new gun....

And have had this problem from the start? And you have been sitting on it for 10 months? For goodness sakes, WHY?

Sure, none of us likes to part with one of our "babies", especially the new ones, for any length of time, but I would have at least called the maker the second time this happened (after making sure it was not caused by debris, or a small burr, or anything else I could easily fix), and at least discuss sending it back for repair or replacement with them.

Gun makers tend to do a better job of standing behind their products than many other industries. And although you do find stories on the 'net where folks weren't happy with the time it took, or the service they got, you don't find all that many, and US companies tend to be better than others, generally.

You bought a new rifle. It has a warranty. Use it!, you paid for it.

Let us know how you are treated, and how long it takes. Getting the stories of service out on the net and to the shooters is one way of making sure that companies honor their obligations. Word does get around.

B. Lahey

Send it back. If you experience goes anything like mine did, they will not fix it the first time... or the second... but they may eventually send you a new rifle that you can sell for a good price. You can then buy the USGI CMP carbine you should have bought to begin with.:)

Maybe they will fix it, though. It seems like it would be the exception rather than the rule, but stranger things have happened. You probably have a better chance of getting a working rifle from AO than being hit by a piece of spacejunk or struck by lightning.

44 AMP

Staff
I hope I don't get hit by space junk, or lightning!

And I'm afraid I can't speak to the M1 carbines, but this rifle is from AO, and it does work.
DSCF0312.jpg

B. Lahey

Yeah, my AO experience was also with a Thompson. Dang you, 44AMP! You got the working Thompson that was meant for me! Better watch the skies, you never know what could happen next.:)

I really wish mine had been functional, such neat rifles...

44 AMP

Staff
Actually I did have a small problem with it

I bought the gun used, and it broke the extractor at about 120 rnds. A quick call to Numrich got me another extractor (bought 2, just in case) and she was back in operation. No trouble with the gun or the stick mags since.

Now if only I could get that dang drum to work right, it would be really sweet!

Hi Dog Confetti:

I was new to shooting (just seldom .22 plinking many years ago) when I bought my AO Carbine last Oct.
The original magazine spring was pretty bad when the rifle was first operated.

After two months, the bolt came out of the track and was stuck-the gunsmith would not touch it. I did not ask for a refund, although my wife had said "So you spent $700 and the store won't refund you money?" But she certainly knows her Meissen 'porcelain' on E-Bay (...and toured the M. Fabrik in eastern Germany).
AO did a good job on the repair but in the meantime I "fell" for a used Mini-14 (my first time with one) and sold the AO Carbine. It has been sitting in a different store for about three months, despite having a high-cap. magazine attached. Pardon my bias against my first AO rifle. It is a really fun rifle if it does not break or always mis-feed, and after the factory's time with it, it could be the best AO Carbine around, and worth the $600 price (with large magazine) or so.

It left a 'rather dismayed' impression on me, being was my actual first gun purchase.

Last edited: