Authentic Garand?

STAGE 2

First let me clarify that when I say "authentic" I am referring to the WWII era/CMP Garands that are sought after. I found a used Garand at the local store made by Springfield armory. Can you tell by the serial # when it was made? And which years are the best to purchase from?

Citadel99

as far as serial numbers are concerned, go to www.jouster.com.

There are about 10 parts on a Garand that are labeled by manufacturer: rear sight, gas plug, reciever, bolt, charging rod, trigger assembley, etc. (I can't remember the others off hand). International Harvester put serial numbers in the stocks.

One that is completely original is worth the most. Ones that have been rebuilt with parts from just one manufacturer (including the right barrel date for the serial number) come in second. Ones with mixed and matched parts follow.

The reason for so many CMP Garands to have mismatched parts is that the Army armorers would simply strip down a defective rifle and toss all of its parts into like piles. Because they were interchangable, rifles were rebuilt with all different parts. Hope that helps some.

Mark

Ledbetter

More info:

1. How much $ ?
2. Date markings on the barrel under the op rod?
3. Serial number (4,1xx,xxx or whatever)
4. Markings on stock left side, or underneath.
5. Condition?

STAGE 2

Ledbetter,

I'm not too familiar with garands so this won't help much but, it was selling for $920, I believe the serial number was 4 million something but I'm not positive, and the stock is worn but not too badly.

johnwill

It would have to be an almost perfect specimen to be worth that kind of money, I'd go the CMP route for $500 or $400 for the Danish re-import.

foghornl

I would suggest visiting

www.fultonarmory.com

and buying Scott Duff's book on Garand serial numbers. I have a copy at home, seems to me it was about $17. You could have your local bookstore order it, but any time i have asked about any gun books at my local stores, you wouldn't believe the looks and questions i have gotten.

NVCDL

A 4million SN Garnd would be Korean War vintage. 900 is pricey
for anything but a collectable Garand.

foghornl

FWIW, if it has a Lithgow or IAI/CAI receiver, it ain't authentic. I have looked at some receivers from both of those, and IMHO, not worth the gas to melt 'em down