ATV Gun: 30-06 or 45/70?

stmcelroy

I'm looking for a reasonably priced, quality gun to go with me on my Polaris Sportsman 500 during bear/deer/elk seasons.

I've narrowed my choices to either a Remington 700 BDL 30-06 w/open sights($200ish) or a Marlin 45/70 ($400ish). The remington is rough, but has a very good bore/chamber.

Which would you pick and why? I reload so heavier 45/70 loads are not a problem.

Steve

impact

I would go with the Remington. $200 is a good price for a beater gun. plus the 30-06 will make those longer shots a little easer. To be good with a 45-70 you need to spend much time with it at the range. Just for kicks I shot my 45-70 out to 600 yards. Man! I think that thing had like 20 foot of drop with factory ammo.

If you have the extra money get both :) . I think everyone need a 45-70. Good for timber hunting at close range with the big game.

TPAW

STMCELROY.....

I've narrowed my choices to either a Remington 700 BDL 30-06 w/open sights($200ish)

I've been looking for a Rem. 700 BDL in 30-06. The cheapest I found it for was $525.00 at Dick's Sporting Goods. Are you talking new in box! If so, I'll buy a dozen and I'm not kidding! :eek:

44-40

Altho I'm a 45-70 fan I'd buy the 06,that sounds like a pretty good price for something that is of that quality that is going to get beat around.

bclark1

will you just be hunting or are you worried about actual bear defense too?

i've got a 30-06 bolt gun right now, and even though i would try hunting anything on the north american continent with it, i'm still getting a ruger carbine in .44 mag for a brush gun. for close hunting and animal defense - as unlikely as either are for me :p - i think something stubbier with more wallop and that will offer quick follow-up shots without having to take your barrel off the target can be beneficial. purely hypothetical at this point but it works in my head.

stmcelroy

Are you talking new in box! If so, I'll buy a dozen and I'm not kidding!

Of course not, it is well used but with a very good bore/barrel. :D

will you just be hunting or are you worried about actual bear defense too?

Mostly it will be for hunting out to 2-300 yards, but could be called upon in the brush. Black bears don't usually attack, so i'm not that worried, besides i'll have a handgun too.

Steve

45 Fu

If you will be mostly in heavy brush, with most of your long shots not over 150 yards, I would go with the .45-70, especially since you are in bear country.

If the brush is light and you will have some longer shots, go with the .30-06.

Personally, I would go with the .45-70 if bears are anywhere in the equation, or have a good revolver in .44 or .45 caliber range if you go with the '06.

3 weelin geezer

For $200 you can't beat that deal with a stick! As long as it has a good accurate and straight barrel, I would go with it. You won't worry about getting it dirty just wet and rusty.

TPAW

bclark1

i'm still getting a ruger carbine in .44 mag for a brush gun. for close hunting and animal defense

Great gun, I have one. But you would have a better edge with the Ruger Mini 30 in 7.62x39. Especially if you use the 154 grain soft point. With both Rugers being about the same size and weight, the Mini 30 in the 154 grain is a little more powerfull than a 30-30, and surpasses the .44 Mag.

oneeyeross

Confused

when I read this part "offer quick follow-up shots without having to take your barrel off the target" I am confused...

Why would I take the barrel off the target to chamber a round with a bolt gun? Don't you guys leave it shouldered, barrel on target while working the action? (Or is it that I was taught to use a bolt gun by guys who learned basic rifle marksmanship with an 03A3?)

pinetree

I have both calibers, the 45/70 is in a Ruger #1 though. I love the 45/70, but your range is very limited. I practice out to 200yds with mine and could get to the point where I was comfortable using it for shots upto that distance. I've shot several deer with both, mostly under 100yds.

If your hunting woods the Marlin is an awesome gun. Small compact and easy and quick to re-chamber. It's what I'd get.

If you're going to have those 200plus yard shots, go 30-06 BDL. I saw three large bucks at 250 yards duking it out this year. I never got a clear shot, but at least with my 30-06AI I could have made it with confidence.

tjg