Attn: 6.5mm Carcano users

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
While in Minnesota, I visited my favorite gun store and what did I find...6.5mm Carcano ammo on 5-round stipper clips (?), looking new and shiny. Headstamps said "50" and "*", I think. Laquer-sealed. They had just under a hundred rounds (also had a 6.5 carbine minus its bayonet). Any idea as to what ammo that is? Would the straight (not Manlicher-type) clips work in the carbine? Anything to watch out for? I am seeing no regular sources of Carcano ammo out there: is that chambering on orphan now?

swatman

Carcano ammo can be found via Norma, but it is salty. I once had a carbine and the main reason for getting rid of it was the ammo was just too damn expensive it was like 23 bucks for a box of 20 :eek:

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I decided that I am not going to get that carbine, after all. Those of you who have 6.5mm Carcanos might want to talk to Howard (GunStop, 952-474-4570) about buying his stash of ammo. He said he'd let them go for $20.

Carcano

Unfortunately, Salty, unless the stuff is Norma it is Berdan primed; Berdan, while reloadable, is a bit of a pain to do. I've always wanted to take a correct size end-mill to a Berdan primer pocket and see if it couldn't be cut to use boxer primers by milling off the anvil. That said, the cartridge itself has a fairly high B.C. IIRC. I know I drove one through an 18 inch water logged oak stump one time and could have used the recovered bullet again.